Need some seal replacement advice.

Greetings.

Have an 86 XJ I am bringing back to life to serve as a daily driver. I believe the pinion seal is in need of replacing (rear). Is this a difficult repair for a novice or should I have a mechanic perform this repair? Just wondering. Also I have a 2006 Grand Cherokee Limited with a class three, 2" reciever, want to know if a d-ring shackle assy will work for recovery,with the appropriate recovery strap for pulling wayward cars from the ditch.

Thanks, Greg

Reply to
jerryg

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

I think if I had a choice between a Class III with a properly sized shackle and the 'factory" rear tow hook on a Grand Cherokee I would rather trust the tow hitch.

If nothing else it is bolted to both frame rails.

Reply to
billy ray

Thanks,

Greg

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@k78g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
jerryg

I had a 'so called' Jeep shop replace my rear pinion seal. They destroyed all the rear end bearings by not doing it correctly. Ended up costing over $500.00 to get repaired properly at a real machine shop that works on Jeeps.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Greetings.
Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike,

This past weekend I grilled salmon on a cedar plank. YUM! Used your receipe you posted in December as a guide.

I don't think I'll ever grill salmon without the cedar again.

Later

Matt

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

You are welcome. It is great that way.

I got an electric smoker for xmas, been having some delicious fun with it.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Mike,
Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
The Merg

No, but I have a folding Coleman Oven I bring on camping trail runs. Now that I am into brines and wood chips and know how to smoke, fresh Bass and Trout could be smoked in that easily using coals from the fire and wood chips. Smoked Trout jerky is really good... I have a nice kipper brine that is easy to make. Smoked sausages are quick and easy too.

Mike

The Merg wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
The Merg

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Here it is in use.... actually this is Steve's .... Mike got one that Christmas if I recall correctly.

billy ray

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

That's the puppy in both links.

I was thinking if I was going to use it for a trail smoker that I would need a second for baking. The smoke flavor would be a bit much for blueberry muffins or dinner rolls later and the soap flavor from cleaning it isn't good for either...

Having a second wouldn't be an issue, they pack up flat.

I am making smoked salmon and trout today. 'Campbell River Candy' style. It's a dry 'brine', brown sugar, garlic, orange peel, ginger and rock salt.

Mike

billy ray wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I would definitely get a second to separate smoking and baking purposes. That guy's definitely going on my list - I already have a nice collection of camp stoves, now I definitely need a camp oven.

Oh yeah, and these d> That's the puppy in both links.

Reply to
The Merg

We also use cast iron. I like the heat distribution. If I was going to carry a cast pot, I would want a 'Dutch Oven'. You put coals on the top to brown the top of things.

And we always can stuff a pot full for travel so it doesn't really take up much space.

The Coleman oven is wicked! I have done a leg of lamb, roast beef, stuffed chicken all with all the trimmings like baked potatoes and squash. It also puts out wicked biscuits and muffins and cake and brownies and cinnamon rolls and shortbread or chocolate cookies, etc....

Mike

The Merg wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Here is a better Dutch Oven description:

Mike

Mike Roma> We also use cast iron. I like the heat distribution. If I was going to

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
The Merg

I really am into cooking, always have been and figure we should eat 'good' when off Jeeping and camping. My wife totally agrees and started bush camping with me in 1979 year round to date with more trips planned soon. Eating good has lots to do with that. :-)

I always make a double fire pit. I don't like the hanging pot.

The large area of the pit is for the heat/light fire using long tree ends fed in slow with a smaller circle off to the side that a grill fits on which makes fresh coals to shuffle over really easily. I put pots there and can slow cook things.

The legs on the Potjie would save the use of a grill, but the grill is nice for other side dish things as well as the main pot.

I spit roast lots also over this double fire setup with as many coals on the bottom as I want to brown but have never hung a pot on a spit lately. I used that method way back when I was a kid in Scouts camping and didn't like it. Not stable enough for my tastes.

It is 'really' nice to always wheel in the Canadian bush so firewood is never an issue. I pull standing deadwood logs down and feed them to the fire slowly. It is called a 'trapper's fire'. I never cut wood to burn.

Mike

The Merg wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain