Crack in Trackbar Mount

I have a small crack developing in the weld where the track bar mount connects to the rear axle. Is this something that can be spot welded back together, and do you think someone can do that without removing the axle (due to the proximity of the fuel tank)? What would you consider a reasonable rate and where do you go to have that sort of work done?

-Will

'88 Jeep Wrangler

Reply to
wb

Depends on how bad the crack is. I think it would have to be on a frame lift where you can disconnect the sway/track bar and lower the rear axle a bit. No need to take the axle out and a mig welder should be good enough.

Reply to
DougW

First, is it really a crack? Take a wire brush to it and make sure it is not a weld imperfection or a piece of grass stuck in the angle of the track bar mount. Light and shadows under a vehicle can really fool you sometimes. Then find a truck service place where they have a chassis lift and somebody who knows how to weld. These places usually have their hourly rates posted. Most of the time you will be charged for will be putting the vehicle on the lift and dragging the welder to the service bay.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Yes Yes Depending on how bad it is,and how they approach is (weld it, patch it, whatever) aprox $100-200. Remember that most shops are charging roughly $65-100 an hour. I have a mechanic who is also Jeeper and welds too. He does it, or else I take it to a fab shop. Just depends on where I am and how bad it is. I've ripped mine off

3-4 times now. First time was damned scary and I was a couple hundred miles from home on a Sunday morning - some freinds of freinds fixed it up for me with a couple hours work and some welding. Last time I got chewed out by everyone at my shop because I took it in with "death wobble", not knowing whatwas causing it and it turned out to be the rear track bar ripped off again. I never felt the rear end moving around that time.

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

Once they crack or rip off, the only decent fix is to make a slotted tab to match both sides, weld the reinforcement over the old bracket. There just isn't enough metal in the upper part of the mount to take the load from off road driving.

Fix is straight forward: Everything can be done with the gas tank inplace, just remove the wheel. Unbolt the trackbar, swing it out of the way. Make a couple of new tabs, grind the remains shiny, weld in place, hit with some Rustolem or equivilent. Bolt the bar back in place. Putting a piece of sheet metal between the weld area and the gas tank is a good idea. The brake line runs through the area, may need to be moved

1/2" and/or prtected when weld> I have a small crack developing in the weld where the track bar mount
Reply to
RoyJ

Thanks for the replies. I am taking it this weekend to one of my father-in-laws buddies who does welding. The crack is actually bigger than I thought. On one side of the mount it is cracked almost through. The other side looks to be intact. I will let you know how it goes.

Reply to
wbowlin

Another option would be to simply remove the trackbar. Older model jeeps with leaf springs did not have them.

Reply to
nrs

This depends on the use to which the Jeep is put. A crack in the trackbar mount could mean that he doesn't need it, or that he does. ;^) Without knowing for sure, I would recommend fixing it.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

And adding reinforcements so it doesn't crack again.

Reply to
billy ray