new 3.8 engine in 2007 wrangler

I thought that the 2007 were going to have the 3.6 V6 that is used on other Jeep models. I just found out that it is a brand new 3.8 engine. I wonder how many years it will take to get it bullet proof.

Rob

Reply to
Nospam

It's been around a while, it's the Chrysler minivan engine turned 90 degrees.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I thought the 3.3/3.8 60 degree V6 was dead.

Too bad you cant get the Benz V6....the one Centurion Thielert uses....

Reply to
RapidRonnie

Oh boy, a minvan engine in a Jeep.

Jeff DeWitt

Matt Macchiarolo wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

Properly geared the 3.8 actually has fairly good power.

Maby this time you won't have to drop the engine to change the plugs.

Reply to
DougW

Maybe so. but "fairly good power" doesn't a Jeep engine make!

Jeff DeWitt

DougW wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

Reply to
billy ray

LOL! Really. I know the reasons for the demise of the I-6, but still, you would think they would switch over to a long-standing, well-developed, durable truck engine design as a replacement instead of something out of a FWD Mommy-Van.

I just got the 'press release' packet in the mail with loads of information about the '07 Wrangler. I now need a vomit bag. It's hideous. An interior like a PT Cruiser, and exterior like a Hummer, and a nice, new drivetrain that has no off-road history at all. And I'm sure it will take 10 years to work the bugs out of this thing as well, as sales languish. Bleh. This is progress?

All I can say is, THANK GOD I bought my '05 TJ Unlimited when I did!!!

Reply to
Outatime

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Actually I try NOT to notice mini vans

Jeff DeWitt

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

Have you noticed how many soccer-mom minivans were traded in for Hummers?

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

We had a Chrysler Town and Country with the 3.8, it could get out of its own way OK. But that was several years ago.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

To me, the 4-door Unlimited all-too-closely resembles a minivan in the first place. I wouldn't have dropped the 4.0 from the line for anything, but if I'd had to I probably would have chosen the 3.8 as its replacement. My stepdad drives a Grand Caravan with that engine and it's a lot more powerful than one would expect. I think it provides a good medium between aggressive off-roading and the daily commute, which I think it was Jeep was going for in the new line.

Reply to
Micah

Agreed. We have an 05 GC with the 3.8 and it gets good mileage and has enough power. We towed our 2000lb pop-up over the Rockies this summer with it and I was impressed.

Now, I wouldn't trade the 4.0L in my 98TJ for the 3.8, but if I was in the market for the '07 four door I'd want a V6 and automatic. I long ago got tired of shifting my 5sp everyday. Maybe that's part of the reason the TJ sits in the garage most days and I commute with a 97 GC.

mc

Reply to
michaelcjeep

I thought the Grand Cherokees came with the 3.7L engine.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Sorry. In this case GC = Grand Caravan

The Grand Cherokee does not use the 3.8L V6.

mc

Reply to
michaelcjeep

C'mon, Bill Hughes, say it!

Real Jeeps have 72 horsepower four-cylinder engines. Nothing else is a Real Jeep, and that 4.0 liter six-cylinder monstrosity is NOTHING like a Real Jeep engine. Heck, Real Jeeps don't even use "liters," it's a 134 cubic inch motor. ;)

Brian

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Hey BILL! You know real Jeeps are built not bought. Good to be back again BTW Rich Harris

Reply to
Rich

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III