new bumper

A night of fab work and here is what I have to show for it:

http://166.70.18.182/images/bumper.jpg

Reply to
Fletcher

L.W.(ßill)

I'd be interested in photos of your hinge arrangement catch mechanism, if you're in the mood to share, I have my hinge figured out, but since it is not done, yours might be better, and I have not come close to deciding how I want to do my latch.

I like seeing other people's takes on the project. The front was easy, but the swing away seems to be one project that I keep delaying because I don't want to forget something.

Looks great though, what kind of finish are you going with? I went with a hammered finish through the gun on my front. I am going to strip it in July, and re-do it with a homemade "bake-box" when the 120* weather hits

Thanks in advance for any input on the hinge/latch.

JT

Reply to
Fennidh

hinge arrangement AND catch mechanism

Too bad spellcheck doesn't prevent outright omission of words

Reply to
Fennidh

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I will get some better photos of the hinge, I was very happy the way it turned out, no sag at all. I actually cheated a little bit on it and am using a hinge that a local shop makes. It uses 2 sets of bearings on a 1

1/4" cromoly spindle. I have an idea of what I want the catch to look like, but I have not made it yet. But the plan is a simple bolt / thumb screw that will hold it tight to prevent rattles, and will be simple. I only have one night left before I leave on a Moab trip, and I have tons of other projects I need to get done before I can leave. So the pics may be a few days away.

Reply to
Fletcher

Try this link. They have some pretty good ideas. I've been thinking of building one myself.

Richard Harris

Don't ya hate that....spend 10hours on something....only to finish it and have it look like something that took an hour at most!

Reply to
SB

that's a dead link rich!

Reply to
SB

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Link's not fead, I was just there!

Reply to
Richard Harris

Reply to
Richard Harris

I'm having issues with my ISP...links there just takes forever to load.

also, don't worry about the spell checked reply corrections. Just leads to lots of message traffic if we all do that!

Reply to
SB

haha...I've just started at a new place that used to custom build a lot of their own elec boxes so we got brakes and shears and saws. So I'm looking at building my own bestlock box type thing!

Reply to
SB