where's the low-side fitting on TJ A/C system?

I want to add a can of R134a to my TJ's A/C system. It blows cold but then shuts off after a few minutes. I bought a can of the stuff and the kit to put it in, but i cannot seem to find the low-side fitting! The fitting on the metal pipe that goes back from the compressor towards the firewall has the right fitting, but when I hook up a can to that, the pressure seems so high that it blows the coolant OUT of the can! OTOH, the fitting on the compressor itself is not the right size to fit ANY of the kits i have seen.

Where is the dang low-side fitting, or, what the heck am I soin' wrong here??

Thanks!!

-jeff

Reply to
Handywired

If you can't tell the high from the low side, maybe you shouldn't be f*cking with it. You could hurt yourself.

What test did you do to lead you to believe it is low on refrigerant? Overcharging won't be much help.

Reply to
bllsht

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

a zillion eh?

Reply to
SB

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

actually no.. what burn victim ?

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I think a zillion means a lot. You know, like 7 or 8... or maybe 19. Maybe...

Scotty '99 TJ 4.0L '99 XJ 4.0L '03 BMW Z4

*** WARN>
Reply to
Scotty

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
mic canic

Thanks for all the help, guys !

!

-jeff

Reply to
Handywired

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Safety! Safety! Safety! It must be practiced to a point of redundancy. A friend of mine owned a used car lot & dropped a car on himself while moving it around with a fork lift. He is no longer with us. Several other friends of mine have spent time in the hospital for various other accidents that could have been prevented. Everybody in this group probably has several stories they could tell & they are all trying to prevent you from being one of them........

Reply to
Carlo

Yeah I once did a dumbsh*t thing and added freon to an old Volvo without using guages. Managed to drive it about 15 miles on a hot Los Angeles area day before it made the biggest damn bang I've ever heard and started spraying stinky vapor out the front of the grille. Blew a hose to pieces right near the fitting near the radiator, scared the whee out of me.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11

The help is largely suggesting that if you don't have a good enough manual to give you the inlet location plus a bit of background in A/C, you may be about to blow your fool head off. Hooking the can of freon up to the pressure side of the compressor tends to confirm the diagnosis...and you are damn lucky already it didn't blow up on you.

Plus you have good odds of turning a minor job into a real expensive repair if your skills are such that you can't figure out which the high side of an A/C compressor is *without* any books.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11

I see that he didn't care for everybody's advice....................he's getting a lot of response on the "TJ" Mail Group.....

Reply to
Carlo

to give you the inlet location plus a bit of

OK, I do appreciate the help, even though it was not what I was expecting! I had no idea it was so potentially dangerous nor so apparantly f*ck-upable. It sure sounded easy on the kit from the auto parts store, in fact if it is as dangerous as you all say, then the companies are NUTS to sell those kits, with those instructions on them, to the general public! And, several of my mechanic friends said that the symptoms I had were probably from low coolant, is why I was willing to try it myself...

I will have to find the location of the low-side fitting elsewhere it appears. My confusion stems mainly from the lack of any fitting at all on what looks like the low side to me, and the fact that the fitting that fits all the kits I saw, is on what is apparantly the high side.

I'll pay one of my mechanic friends to do it and pick his brain so maybe I'll have a better clue next time.

Thanks, guys, I do appreciate the wake-up and I wasn't meaning to be a smart-ass!

-jeff

Reply to
Handywired