Transponder Keys

If you have an 1998 or newer Jeep with a transponder key with an imbedded computer chip you should seriously consider getting a third key made.

With two working transponder keys you can get additional keys for just the cost of the key and cutting and program the key yourself.

I bought a Jeep OEM key on e-Bay for $11.99 + $2.50 for a local locksmith to cut it as opposed to the $99 Jake Sweeney Jeep in Cincinnati wanted for a programmed key.

  1. Self-Programming additional Sentry Keys (requires TWO original keys) "A" through "G" below is a quick summary of the steps that are required for programming. Following this list, "1" through "6" takes you through the same process in greater detail.

Quick Steps:

A. Purchase a blank key and have it cut B. Insert original key #1 into ignition and turn to On C. Wait 5 seconds and turn key to off D. Immediately insert original key # 2 into ignition and turn to on E. Wait 10 seconds for SKIS indicator in dash starts to flash F. Turn ignition off, insert new blank key and turn ignition back on G. Once SKIS light stops flashing and turns off, your new key is programmed

Reply to
Billy Ray

I bought a key on Ebay this week. It still has not arrived yet.

Because my Libby has the keyless entry remote built into it, and it's cumbersom at best. I got one that is just the key. Before I bought it I emailed someone else with a Liberty that had already purchased form the guy and ask how well it worked, he said it worked great!

I will butcher an intergrated key/remote so that it will be just a remote and a key not integrated The way this 05 key is designed it off center, awkward and in general a poor design with the panic button right where your thumb goes when you turn it to start the vehicle. . Anyway, they plain key was $22 including shipping now I have to find a dead key somewhere to slip the guts of my remote into.

Anyone out there got one?

KJK

2O|||||||O5 Liberty
Reply to
KJ.Kate

I have seen the new key design and it is ..... not the best design I have ever seen but I think I would prefer it to the separate key/remote design I have. The combination is just too bulky which, I guess, is why they changed the design.

That is the real design flaw, when you add these remotes to your normal keyring it becomes too long. As it is now with the Jeep's key in the ignition my door key rubs on my knee as I drive.

The guy I got my key from was VERY slow in shipping and rebated the shipping charge.

Reply to
Billy Ray