New Radiator $$

I'm needing to buy a new radiator in the very near future I do believe. Lots of bent fins, inside looks pretty nasty as well. AutoZone said $214+, but said to call 1-800-radiator for the same lifetime warranty for a better price. I have learned not to use the words 'cheap' and 'Jeep' in the same sentence when looking for parts, so how about this. Does anybody know of a place to get a radiator at a fairly reasonable price for a '89 Wrangler 258? TIA, Dan

Reply to
Daniel Paisley

I think that 800 number goes to radiatorbarn.com, but I am not certain.

Having said that, I recently needed a new radiator for the Mrs's minivan, and the guy at the corner Parts Store told me the same thing, call the toll free number. I had a new radiator in my driveway in a day, and it cost $100 less than the store price. So, I agree with the advice of the guys at your parts house. Try the 800 number and radiatorbarn.com

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
William Oliveri

Give

a call at 888-228-6024

I think they carry a large line of radiators at real good prices.

Reply to
Hey There

Ok, enough BS commercial SPAM from you please!

This newsgroup does have a Charter and your advertising SPAM is really not wanted and is against the Charter.

You, "Hey There" have been doing this for too long.

I 'Highly' recommend a world wide internet boycott of your shop!

I will for sure warn folks that you are sleaze bag SPAMMERS, so what integrity can you have as a shop?

The Charter is located here: ftp://ftp.uu.net/usenet/news.announce.newgroups/rec/rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Mike

Hey There wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Bought my replacement here:

No surprises.

Looks like $139 US for yours.

Reply to
Tom Needham

Also check with rockauto.com and make sure you get metal tanks and not plastic tanks. ;-) Might be around $118 plus $14 shipping, but am not sure. later, dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

What is the _real_ difference between the 2 row and 3 row radiators? Also thanks to all who replied. I checked all the sites except for the 'spammer' (thanks Mike). I want to get the more practical one so I don't need to replace it any time soon. Thanks, Dan

Reply to
Daniel Paisley

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

it seems that if you fit more rows in the same space you dont get much improvement. Has anyone gone from a WORKING single row to a new 2 or 3 row and noticed a significant improvement? I just threw in a single row becuase it looked beefier than the 2 row I just broke. So far it seems to cool fine but I have yet to try it in desert heat while crawling. Also, what is wrong with plastic tanks? The whole radiator is only around

100 bucks vs 140 or so for a metal tanked two row. Heck if my radiator is clogged I just get a new one.

KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Kevin in San Diego did pass the time by typing:

Actually it is more efficient because the overall liquid flow rate is slower and therefore there is more time to loose heat to the air. Heat exchanger theory, long story.

The crimp is a weak spot and can fail. Generally it can't be repaired. Full metal tanks are stronger.

Reply to
DougW

(L.W.(=A0=DFill)=A0Hughes=A0III) wrote: =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0Fifty percent more cooling capacity? Corvettes run four. =A0 =A0 =A0 God Bless America, =DFill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

I am asking about an '89 258 straight 6, not an '89 350 V8. I guess youare trying to tell me to go with the 3 row?

Reply to
Daniel Paisley

(DougW) wrote: Actually it is more efficient because the overall liquid flow rate is slower and therefore there is more time to loose heat to the air. Heat exchanger theory, long story.

Reply to
Daniel Paisley

All the folks I know with 97 and 98 TJ's and even a couple with ones in the 2000's have had to buy new rads because the crappy plastic one leaks.

They should be under recall they are so bad!

Someone else asked in another group about the same thing because 'every' used one he has looked at has a leaky rad.

They are bad news.

Mike

Mike Romain

I can tell you that the new 2 core rad on my 258 is 'marginal' for my cooling needs up here in Canada.

As it is set up now, I have a warn HS9000i Winch and 2 Hella Black Magic lights in the way of the air flow.

This means I can only drive over 70 mph on the highway in the winter, if I do it in the summer it starts getting way too hot to the point of burping fluid. I have to slow way down to 60 mph and turn on the heater for an extra 'rad'.

I broke my rad in half last fall on a trail twist and will need a new one come summer if my trail fix soldering job holds that long so I am going with a 3 core.

Mike

Daniel Paisley wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Cool, good info, I can get a plastic one row aftermarket for 100 bucks locally. I can get a metal three row in a few days for around 150. sounds like its worth the extra 50 bucks. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
RoyJ

All I do is rock crawl in the desert in 110F heat. A two row that isnt clogged and has a good aux electric fan and fan clutch and fan shroud does pretty well. Sometimes I have to pop the hood latch and leave it on the safety latch to help vent the hot air... summer is coming, I can feel it creeping in. Tomorrow the temp here will be 77 or so with santa ana winds and gusts near 40 of warm wind. Get your chapstick ready. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego