new tires & maint for 2001 Grand Cherokee

We have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee... Laredo - not the Limited. It has about 45,000 miles, and the tire tread is looking a little thin. It has the stock Goodyear Wrangler ST P225 75R16 tires. It's been a very long time since I've replaced tires, as previously, our vehicles were only kept for a couple of years.

So - do I just replace what's on there - any other suggestions ? Costs.... (Goodyear MSRP $130) any others to look at ?

Also - since the Jeep has 45,000 miles on it, any maint that really "should" be done ? Have done the usual oil changes, and I think the 15k service, but not the listed 30k or 45k - each of those was $$$ - I know - preventative vs reaction maint - pay now or pay more later -

Reply to
Phil Schuman

Phil,

My first Jeep, an '89 Cherokee Laredo, had Michelins on it. After about 45K miles those things got hard as a brick. I couldn't keep the rear end of the Jeep from slipping, especially on wet pavement; I used 4WD a lot when it rained. I replaced the Michelin with same-size Goodyear and, not only did the rear end stay put, but it suddenly became much quieter inside the Jeep!

I'd say stick with Goodyear of the same size unless someone out there knows of a better tire.

Regards,

Turner '89 Cherokee Laredo, '99 Cherokee Classic, '05 Grand Cherokee

Reply to
Turner Morgan