NO BEEP JEEP

I just bought a '92 Jeep Wrangler and just LOVE it but, the horn doesn't work and I'm looking for some troubleshooting ideas. I've checked the fuse which seems OK, but don't want to go out and buy a relay, horn pad and horn just to find out where the problem lies. Wiring appears to be intact and well connected to the horn assembly. I have a friend with an ohmmeter, but would like to see if I can do this myself. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks! Terri

Reply to
Terri Ray

The horn works when the horn contact on the steering wheel grounds the horn relay. It will take a little bit of electrical troubleshooting experience to identify the cause of failure. I would start by grounding the horn wire at the base of the column. If the horn blows when you do that, then you know that the problem lies within the column, and you can eliminate the rest of the circuit.

If you are comfortable with schematics, I can probably come up with one for you.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Newton

Try taking 12volts right off your battery and putting it to your horn via plug (if there is one) or fuse box. Maybe try it at the relay (wherever that is....).

Reply to
SB

You need a volt meter.

The first thing I would be looking at is the power to the horns. My guess is the horns themselves are toast.

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Oldtimers used to fix that with a couple of smart raps to the center of the horn with a hammer. Terri: If the horn (not the relay under the dash but the horn itself) clicks when you push the button, it is probably just stuck. Rap the center of the horn with a hammer a couple of times.

If it isn't working you can't hurt it. If that doesn't work you'll be replacing it anyway.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton