No power to radio

I have a 96 Grand Cherokee Laredo. I've had it for a few years, and the first thing I did was put in an after market head unit... I just went out and bought a new one the other day and installed it. It worked fine. When I unplugged it to put it in the bracket, and hooked it back up, it didnt work. Now there is no power to the stereo. I tried the new cd player, the old one, and the factory... Nothing.

I brought it to my fathers friends dealership. They were kind of clueless about it. They though having an amp kit had something to do with it not working. I kept telling them that I never touched any factory wires. All electrical mods were on aftermarket accessories.

At first they tought it was a fuse, but then they ruled that out saying there was power to the box.

If anyone has had this happen, how do you fix it? Is this a small problem or big problem?

Reply to
Mike via CarKB.com

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
Mike via CarKB.com

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I just put the red/yellow the + and the black to - on the battery and my HU works. So where abouts am I tracing this wire to? Theres a bunch of wires and fuses underneath a panel on the passenger side. I just hope its nothing behind the dash.

Reply to
Mike via CarKB.com

Reply to
tim bur

Where am I checking the fuse? Under the hood, passenger side panel at the bottom? I dont have my manual but I checked the fuses under the hood, and theres 1 that looks all corroded. But the guys at the dealship said they're fine. It's a green fuse... all the rest are yellow and red and marked what they are... Could the green be the one for the radio?

Its gotta be a fuse. Cause my stereo worked then all of a sudden it didnt, nothing happened with wires being spliced, cut, etc. Only a fuse would kill the system at once.

Reply to
Mike via CarKB.com

On my '00 XJ, the fuse panel in the front passenger kick area has the=20 radio fuse. The cover of the panel has the fuse labels. __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

I just got off the phone with the dealership again, and they said they checked all fuses... So this would obviously just leave the factory radio wires? How much does that cost to get fixed

Reply to
michael g via CarKB.com

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Perhaps there's an inline fuse you're missing... __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

Reply to
tim bur

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
tim bur

Reply to
tim bur

I replaced the fuse, and still nothing. Although my speaker made a weird noise. Something similar to those test beeps that TV stations play every once and a while. I also heard some static when moving the black and gray clips around. It's gotta be a bad wire through there... So do I get the red/yellow/black wires from the factory harness, splice them, and twist them with the aftermarket wires and hope it works?

Cause if it's faulty wiring they'd have to replace it anyways... Only thing from stopping me is that wires rarely go dead. It's the fuse that goes, not the wires.

Reply to
Mike via CarKB.com

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
tim bur

Do you mean the black and gray box with the pins?

Reply to
Mike via CarKB.com

Reply to
tim bur