Airbox has to go?

Hi Everybody,

I got a great deal on a Quick Air 3 and attempted to install it and gave up. I have an 01 TJ six cyl. and the air box has to go if I want to put this in the engine compartment, and I do.. I'm really not interested in K&N or other devices. I have seen nice setups with a chrome air cleaner on top of the intake. Anybody know what air cleaner and filter I could use? Off of a certain vehicle? I off road a lot so ingestion dust/dirt is something I am concerned about.

Thanks

Andy

2001 TJ
Reply to
Andy

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

This mounts a K&N one piece air cleaner right on top of the engine, where not much dirt or water can get at it. I don't much care for the price, but I didn't have a tubing bender that would accommodate that diameter, and my welding skills aren't so good.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Trueflow makes a filter that will fit onto the air tube after cutting it off just like the K&N does. The difference being that the Trueflow actually does a good job of filtering the air, unlike K&N's. I installed an OBA into my Jeep and it also took up the airbox's space so that's why I'm running the Trueflow.

Jerry

Andy wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

This does the same thing as the turbocity and it's only $30.

Been running this tube with a K&N for about 2 years. I've never seen dirt inside the airtube or TB. It is an open filter, but it's a couple inches higher than the stock aibox inlet. If you get in that deep, you're going to have problems regardless.

-Ed

"Earle Hort>

Ed J.

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

The TurboCity air tube does literally NOTHING that the factory air tube doesn't do. I started with cutting off my factory air tube to mount the K&N air filter but had to replace it with the TurboCIty air tube so I could pass the visual inspection for California's semi-annual smog system test. The TurboCity had the required CARB (Calif. Air Resources Board) sticker of approval, that's what I needed to pass.

Was there any difference in performance with TurboCity's hollow steel tube and the plastic factory air tube I had been using? Of course not, what a rip-off... $80 for their lame air tube just so I could get that required CARB approval sticker. Damn.

Jerry

Ed J. wrote:

Jerry Bransford

It put the K&N on top of the engine, further away from the dust and the water than the stock air box in my '95. It came with a spiffy "Rock-It" sticker. It made room for a tool box or anything else you can dream up for the stock air box location. I don't think you're being fair when you say it does "NOTHING" that the stock air tube doesn't. ;^)

Earle

Earle Horton

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

No dust in the pipe, Bill.

Earle

Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

You do raise a point, but I am not getting any dust in the pipe where I live and play. I don't have enough horsepower to throw dust as high as you do, either. Results will depend on usage and individual situation. If you do use a K&N, clean and oil it as needed.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

This article says things for and against the K&N.

"After only 24 minutes the K&N had accumulated 221gms of dirt but passed

7.0gms. Compared to the AC, the K&N "plugged up" nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt."

However,

"The other filters, most notably the oiled reusable types, had an exponential loading response before reaching maximum restriction. These filters had a lower initial restriction, but they became exponentially more restrictive under a constant flow of dirt."

I like that "exponential loading response". The Rock-It Air Tube places the K&N in a location, over the valve cover, where there seems to be less dust than the stock air box location on my '95 YJ. If the filter is kept relatively clean, like mine is, it stays on the flat part of the exponential "Dust Loading Curve", passes more air than an equivalent paper filter would, and doesn't have to worry about the dust so much because of the location.

"However, note how the AC Filter, which passed the smallest amount of dirt and had the highest dirt capacity and efficiency, also had the highest relative restriction to flow. The less efficient filters correspondingly had less restriction to flow. This illustrates the apparent trade-offs between optimizing a filter for dirt capturing ability and maximum airflow."

Everything in life is a trade-off. Still, I maintain that there is no (visible) dust in the pipe, and if I don't see it it won't hurt me. Now if I were operating the vehicle "bei starkem Dustfall" like you do yours, I would doubtless be more concerned with passing the absolute smallest amount of dirt. If you wanted the "best" filter in all respects, you would engineer a huge paper filter to pass a lot of air and a small amount of dirt, but put it in a baffle that removed the big pieces by centrifugal force. (Lots of stock setups do this.)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Yea Bill, I hate to mess up the original air intake system. It's not a real Jeep so it doesn't fit under any seat, I tried, believe me. I can't take out the back seat because I have a lot of Jeep crazed young grandkids.

I guess what I'll do is put it in a box and use good clips to attach to the battery(s), like a portable. I swear I saw a set-up on a TJ that was from a

2xxx something auto that fit. Of course, the air scrubbing wouldn't be as good as now. Thanks

Andy

2001 TJ Too many mods to remember

Reply to
Andy

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Bill, Thanks for the link to that Air Filter Report. For years I have heard people who swear by K&N filters but the same number that swear at them.

One thing that has always come to mind is that when you are using the stock airbox it gets it air supply from in front of the grill while the K&N gets it air from atop the engine which is the hottest place in the vehicle.

Reply to
Billy Ray

This is an overly simplistic assumption. A vehicle in motion is not equivalent to a tank used for static convection studies.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Don't use after market air filters on your jeep.

See this:

and read down to the part about Air Filter Controversy.

-linux24

Reply to
linux24