Not a Jeep but pretty cool (0/2)

That's what I get for trying to post a small pic with Agent. Outlook Express often has problems with multi-part binary files. I'll resend it using PowerPost.

Reply to
Scooby Don't

I just posted it back up there. Hopefully your newsreader can use yEnc. I usually post 400-600 Meg Binaries. The small ones are more of a pain as many peopel use OE and it's not setup to handle binary files.

Reply to
Scooby Don't

Nothing, it's a standard Jpeg and I posted it with a PC not a Mac.

Reply to
Scooby Don't

Reply to
Will Honea

Groan....

Yenc just doesn't work for most folks.

I see them tough!

Even the guy that invented it is extremely pissed off that a 'friend' took his code and tried to make it a 'new thing'.

What photo editor are you using?

Crap man I use Corel photo shop and my Sony digital camera and both will put 17 'excellent' quality 4x6's prints on one floppy. I do mean excellent too! They will do 'good' quality 8x10's and 'excellent' quality 640x480x 300dpi 20K images up.

400 to 600M is a bitmap or *.bmp, not a *.jpg.

My Sony does one 'highest quality' bmp per floppy and it is just wicked at 1.44M.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Got it by email and posted it as a 30.9K jpg in the 96 dpi sent at

640x480. over on the binary group.

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

And the leaf springs!

:)

Reply to
Peter Parker

yEnc works fine if people don't rely on OutHouse Express.

All the large binary groups use yEnc because it saves an enormous amount of time of very large downloads.

The photo was sent to me and I posted it as is. someone lightened it up and it honestly looks like crap on my system. There were 2 pics.

It was 600K not M

600K is jpeg size all the way.
Reply to
Scooby Don't

That was me, it was really dark on my system, so I lightened it.

I will post it back dark.

My Corel made it a 30.9K jpg.

And NO, you are incorrect, Yenc is an abortion that the maker even says shouldn't be public, a friend stole it from him and went nuts with it.

I mean really, my Corel made it a 31K file, your Yenc made it a 600K file.....

I will post it back without touching it up using Corel Photohouse.

Mike

Scooby D>

Reply to
Mike Romain

It's fine by me either way, I just saw the smaller pic I didn't see the larger pic redone. If you zoom in close on the larger pic you can see my friends fiancee' sitting in the back.

I didn't play with it, I just posted it as he gave it to me.

I don't know about that but I do know that yEnc is now supported by everyone except Outlook Express. Larger binary files really need yEnc and some groups the FAQ will even tell you yEnc only. Try posting 400+ Megs a day like some peopel do and you will find out very quickly that UUEncoding doesn't cut it. I stayed away from yEnc for a long time. But it's much better now. Bill Gates stole DOS from Digital Research, doesn't make it right but everyone still used DOS.

Not at all that was the original unedited size that was given to me. yEnc does not change the overall file size. Basically it adds more characters per post so you cut down on a lot of wasted space. It works, I use it all the time. But in no way did it alter that file. I'm not suggesting you give up Outlook Express and switch to yEnc but I am saying yEnc is more efficient and wastes a lot less bandwidth. Which is good for everyone.

Reply to
Scooby Don't

Even better, 'you' send me the original via email like I asked for.

I will post it back to the binary group in Corel Photohouse jpg format and we wil see the size difference for sure.

The copy I have was emailed to me, so who knows what software he was using....

Mike

Mike Roma>

Reply to
Mike Romain

...and the gas tank directly under you @$$, where it belongs!

Reply to
TJim

I use Netscape....

Mike

Scooby D>

Reply to
Mike Romain

I just posted a few shots from my Sony Digital Mavica Floppy drive camera over on the binary group.

I can store 17 of that quality on one 1.44M floppy.

Mike

Scooby D>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Approximately 10/4/03 00:32, Mike Romain uttered for posterity:

This used to happen all the time when you see images on a PC that were made on the older MACs with PhotoShop.

With a good PC graphic arts monitor and color profiling enabled I do't see it so much any more.

About right. I usually compress in Corel by doing a Save AS and then open the saved image in something like Lview Pro in addition to a web browser. As soon as you see banding in the continuous tones, back it off to two previous compressions.

Sucketh royally and loudly, verily it doth.

Corel 7 had one of the coolest compressions, a fractal based variety, wavelet, which could almost always compress better even than 4:4:4 JPEG with less banding, but it just never caught on.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Shame Sony (and others) cant come up with a USB solution - those flash memory sticks are cheap.

Reply to
Dave Milne

Yeah that's no problem to send you the original.

Sure because the photo I have is unedited. That has nothing to do with yEnc. yEnc is an encoding scheme just more efficient than UUE. I can crop the pic down as well. This is a pic the guy snaped on his digital camera when he was over there.

Sure I'll send it to you but remember I can also squeeze the file size down myself.

Reply to
Scooby Don't

Seriously Mike, why not move up to Agent? It's free for 30 days and it's a great program. Very easy to use and it's the most used Newsreader on the Net especially for multi-part binary files. Free Agent is no where near as good. I sarted using Agent because i disliked OE and I've never looked back. XNews is free but very non-intuitive. PowerPost has a UUE and a yEnc version and are among the best posting programs out there. I used to post a lot of Jpegs back when I was into anime and nothing is easier than PowerPost to send up hundreds of pics. I still use it but now for the big Doramas. Just a thought.

Reply to
Scooby Don't

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)