Now that Spring's here ... u-joint

So now that the snow's gone, took a look under the jeep ... and the right front u-joint is toast ('96 Command Trac). Not a safety issue since won't be using the 4wd just yet ... but it'll get replaced next week or so. Just a heads up :-) ... might be a good idea to crawl under and take a look.

Reply to
bowgus

I've had front axel u joints cause death wobble on a 89 xj so don't put it off too long.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

I had the WJ into 4WD yesterday and it felt great!

Reply to
billy ray

Do I have to? I get all giddy from that new Jeep smell when I get that close - hubs says it makes me worthless until I go out for a drive.

Reply to
Kate

Beat ya, had to do a U-joint last week. Another 'heavy duty' dead POS 'lifetime' non grease piece of crap....

Mike

Mike Romain

giddy ... is that what they call it these days :-)

Reply to
bowgus

You can get the 'super strength' greasable lifetime guaranteed u-joints at NAPA.... last time I looked they were something like $20

Reply to
billy ray

Those 'are' the suckers! The expensive ones. One arm empty of needles and the other there 'totally' devoid of any grease. I hope their warranty is as good as CT's. I took back about 6 to CT and got a store credit. Steve was by and we made sure all the rest I replaced with zerk ones have grease. They all seem to be holding in.

Mike

billy ray wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Tom Wood sells really good custom u-joints with a lifetime warranty.

.

All his driveshafts come with them..

Check 'em out.

Reply to
Carl

The $20 have zerk fittings. The $15 lifetime ones don't and the $8 1 year guarantee one do.... Go figure..

How's the new Cherokee, did he get the Boler lifter?

Reply to
billy ray