Now that the Cherokee is discontinued

Will I have problems getting it serviced? I have a '97 XJ 4x4

Will parts be hard to get?

I like it and would like to keep it for another 4 or 5 years but want to make sure it can be serviced?

Please give me your thoughts?

can you point me to any websites that talk about this?

thanks,

Deparko

Reply to
Deparko

I believe that there is a federal law (or regulation, or something) that says a manufacturer must support a vehicle for a specified time after discontinuation. I seem to remember 10 years. maybe Bill has a link.......

Reply to
Carlo Jr.

I wouldn't worry about the Cherokee at all. This was a very popular vehicle with many many units sold. Federal law or not, people will be supporting it for a long time.

Earle

Carlo Jr. wrote:

Reply to
Earle Horton

It's still current production in China.

Reply to
mebaggss

But parts prices I bet will go up. I remember back when I had a '90 Mustang GT. A fog light on that thing would occassionally get taken out by a stone tossed up in front of me. First two or three times or so it broke, the car was still in production and I remember the price for the light assembly was always $60-something. Then, the 'new' Mustang came out in, i forget, '94? Not soon after it came out, I lost yet another fog light in my '90. Went to the dealer to pick up a new one and found out the price had was suddenly doubled to a $120. Same thing happened with a windshield wiper motor. Replaced it once for a relatively cheap price (a rebuilt unit, btw). A year later the replacement went bad (doh! i hate rebuilds!) and so I had to get yet another replacement. Price was over 50% higher. Both motor replacements were from a generic auto parts store and not the dealer.

Reply to
Jeeters

No. The dealership will continue to service your XJ for about 10 years, give or take a few. There are millions of those on the road, there will be no problem getting them fixed.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland