NP242

The NP242 in question is my 2000 XJ sport. 4.0, Aw4, ect. 98K miles.

We've got a lot of snow here in the Inland Northwest. Many roads are snow or ice covered for miles. When on these roads, and snow/ice here-and-there roads, and even on just wet roads during the winter, I usually run in the

4x4 full time selection. One road in paticular that I drive on is ice from the first snow untill spring. Do I gain anything by running on these type roads (where I KNOW i will not see pavement, or on non-paved roads) by running in 4x4 part time?

I suppose my question could be summed up as: When it is OK to use 4x4 part time, is it better to use 4x4 part time or full time? Do I gain any advantage by using 4x4 part time? (locking the front and rear axles together)

I assume I'm simply saving wear on the vicious coupler by using part time

4x4, but I'd like to know if anyone knows for sure.

Also,

I recently changed the t-case fluid (probably 2000 miles ago) on the dealer's reccomendation, I used ATF +4. I noticed over the last 2000 miles that, when in 'full time' 4x4 on a tight turn the tires would sometimes scrub a little. Not like I was in part time, but still more than I would expect. Also, sometimes it would get 'stuck' in 'part time' after being in 'full time' when I would shift back into 2wd.

This weekend, I changed the fluid agian and used Mercon Dex 3. The scrubbing and sticking is gone. According to the manuals, it came with Dex 3. If you have a 242, USE DEX 3!.

Thanks,

Carl

Reply to
Carl