Re: '91' XJ: Rear diff binding or is the trac-loc?

I don't think my previous post made it so I'm bumping this post. I have the following symptoms w/a 91 XJ (w/4WD) Laredo:

On sharp left or right turns I can hear some noise from the rear axle (which the Chrysler/Jeep-Eagle stealership mechanics supposedly checked less than three years ago). It's as if the clutch pack is binding and releasing. So, is this normal or do I have problems? Is it possible to just replace the rear diff w/a normal, non-trac-loc axle?

Reply to
Doug

OK you had a 91 model car checked three years ago at the "stealership". Could it just be getting old? You could try putting regular diff oil in it without the limited slip additive.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

remove the rear cover and look for metal or clutch material in the oil. if there, serious work is needed. otherwise just use new oil and maybe an additive old john

Reply to
<ajeeperman

That's what I was afraid you'd say. Damn. I hope it just needs new oil. Supposedly the clutch packs were R&R'ed at the stealership less than 2 years ago. Thanks for the info.

Reply to
Doug

Reply to
RoyJ

Reply to
Will Honea

What about using synthetic lube (along w/the trac-loc additive)? Thanks for the responses too. I REALLY appreciate this newsgroup even if I occasionally have foot-in-mouth disease.

Reply to
Doug