O/T: Shotgun Advice

Now that I'm almost 30 I'm taking up hunting (I lived a sheltered childhood). Getting ready to buy my first 12 guage. I have gotten advice from a few different friends and most seem to say that buying a Remington

870 express (28" barrel, 3" chamber) is a great first gun. They are cheap, in case I lose interest in it as a hobby, but are also very reliable and effective guns. One friend also suggested a Mossberg 500. I already went out and shot a box of clay pigeons through a friends 870 and did very well with it so I do feel I'll be comfortable with it. I can get the 870 for $229 here in town, I haven't priced the Mossberg or any Benelli Nova's yet although I hear they should be close in price. Not looking to spend a fortune since I'm just geting interested in it (besides this is $$ I could be putting into my tranny swap this winter).

I'm initially planning on hunting grouse, chukar then maybe get into goose/pheasant/turkey in the future.

Anyone wanna throw in their .02?

P.S. - If you ever wanna feel like a wierdo........ take your hunter education class when you are 29.... and sit in a room full of 10 year olds all week!

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

Must be tough knowing you can't use the "Grand Theft Auto" defence !

"One man was killed and a woman was badly hurt when William Buckner, 16, and his step-brother Joshua, 14, decided to relieve their boredom by opening fire on traffic on Interstate 40 with a .22-calibre rifle. Lawyer Jack Thompson has taken up the case and plans to sue the makers of Grand Theft Auto, saying they should bear some responsibility for the death of Aaron Hamel, a 45-year-old nurse and the injuries caused."

Now, I am in favour of guns as you guys know, but if the "armed society is a polite society" line was really true ... somone would have shot the bastards dead and you wouldn't be having a court case !

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

: P.S. - If you ever wanna feel like a wierdo........ take your hunter : education class when you are 29.... and sit in a room full of 10 year olds : all week! : :

Reply to
Dave Milne

I read that story a few days ago. Just amazing what some people try to get away with. "Your honor, It's the games fault that my client went out and shot three people! He's 15, how is he supposed to know that it's wrong?" I'm not bashing lawyers, but COME ON! Nobody is responsible for their actions anymore. It's the movies or the media or their friends that made em' do it!

My guess would be that they never participated in a hunters education class, or they would have known that "shooting people is wrong" ;-)

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

When I used to bird hunt, I preferred my single shot 20 ga. with a 30" barrel. We hiked a lot and it was nice and light.

I also like a double barrel gun. Over under I like best. Lots of friends and my Dad had those. That way you can have two different loads in it, one for up close and one that can catch up to them... ;-)

You can also get different gauges on an over under. A good one for grouse is a 22 cal with a 20 or 12 ga. on top. Or a 20 or 12 ga. and

410 is sweet. If they are standing around close or running slow, the 22 or 410 picks them off. It's nice to have something left to eat if you nail one too close to you. ;-) Plus a 22 cal has killing power at long range as a bonus.

Dad had a Remington 12 ga. pump, mechanical eject. Heavy old pig, but worked well. He cut the barrel back some for woodcock hunting.

One buddy had a Mossberg with a recoil eject, don't remember the type, but do remember it jammed a lot.

Dad also had an over under Frankie, (sp?) that was a super light sweet gun.

Mike

Mike Romain

Good advice. I shot my buddies 30 year old 410 and I couldn't miss a target if I tried. That little thing was sweet. Over-unders might be a little bit much for my budget right now, like I said, I'm just starting to get into it. I can understand the wieght issues. I took my friends 870 out the other day and he carried the 410. By the end of the day he looked fine, but I thought my arm was gonna fall off :-)

Basically I'm looking for a good all around gun until I see if I'm really interested in pursuing it further. I did find shooting the clay pigeons to be a blast, but I have yet to shoot anything else.

Reply to
Kevin Sperle
410s are nice and light. Only downside is that you have to be able to shoot, as the spread is that much smaller.

[...]

: > Mike : > 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 : > 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's : >

: > Kevin Sperle wrote: : > >

[...]

I actually ran into an x-girlfriend in the class.... no she wasn't taking it, her little boy was. That was awkward! I was just releived he didn't look anything like me ;-)

Thanks for the advice. 12 guage is definately the way I want to go for my first gun, I think it's good for all around use.

I looked around a few pawn shops in town for used guns, for the 870 they wanted around $225 - $235. I told the guy I can go buy a new one for that much.... his response, "go buy a new one". I'll mark that down as one of lifes little lessons.

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

Get a magnum. It expands your hunting to geese and, most importantly, turkey. Hunting gobblers is addictive.

Reply to
Jeepers

Kevin,

I've got a Remington 1100 and an 870. Both are a blast to shoot and pretty cheap to "feed".

The 1100 is going on 30 years old now and it still shoots well. Not the fanciest of shotguns, but then I'm not out to impress anybody these days either. I shoot trap with both, depending on which gun got tossed in the trunk. I prefer the 1100 as it's just a slick automatic gun.

Used to carry the 870 as a cop up north. Works well and both take a beating without burping. I don't clean them very often, only when it's "obvious" that a cleaning is in order (like around Turkey Day or so).

Shotguns are fun. You can't really go wrong with an 870 as it'll last you forever, no matter what you may get in the future, should you decide to go high tech or something and spend $20,000 on your next one!

The bottom line....

I got that Remington 1100 with my first wife. I'm on my third (and final) wife and still got the first shot gun.

AD

Reply to
AWD

Yeah, I meant shotgun magnum.

I've got a Ruger Super Redhawk just like yours in .44 and 7.5", great pigger.

Reply to
Jeepers

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I have a couple, Winchester 1300 pump 12ga 3" w/2 barrels, one rifled for slugs and the other smooth 28" with interchangable chokes. Works well and fits my 6'6" frame. Baretta 12ga 3" single shot trap gun, light, kicks like a mule but sure goes after them clays. I seem to remember the winchester was ~$300 w/both barrels, the Baretta was around $2K back in the 70's.

"Kevin Sperle" wrote in news:2So9b.607$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net:

Reply to
Rich Pierson

The 870 is a reliable gun, you won't be disapointed with it. I have the youth model for my son. Re-Sale value would be $150 to $175 likely, if you do get rid of it. My brother-in-law shoots a Benelli and is extremlely happy with it. I have not shot anything but Remintons, Winchesters and Mossberg

835's. As for barrel choices... I would get something shorter, like a 20" barrel for Turkey and Deer. Something with a Parkerized finish is good. Buy a 2nd barrel for birds in the 26" to 28" lengths. Sabot's need rifling in the barrel, so if you want to deer hunt look at that as a barrel option. If you get Mossberg, some barrels have an overbore at the end of the barrel to reduce recoil. You cannot use slugs in these barrels! My 835 is that way. Don't forget to buy a cleaning kit and gun case.

I took my son's on different years and my wife at age 40 also went to take the course. Many parents who took their kids also took the class. I of course took the course one of the first years available, back in the mid

70's. Before it was mandatory. :-)

Just my collection of ramblings...Enjoy the shooting sports!

Brian

Reply to
bulletsnbrains

I have 1 Redhawk .44 with somewhere over 7"bbl (7 & 5/8 or 7 & 7/8 - can't remember - almost 8") & a 4x scope - but my favorite is my "Lou Horton", S&W, Model 29, 3" round butt. (I love it when the recoil blows my hair back)

About shotguns, though - have you looked @ any semi-autos? I have an old Winchester XTR 1500. They are a little more comfortable, especially for someone just starting & you don't have to pump in between shots, therefore, making it easier to remain on the target if a second shot is required. The ultimate is an over/under, but that would be later, when you know you have the fever.

Reply to
Carlo Jr.

Try the Encore in .308 Win! You can't shoot a box of 20 without starting to flinch. :-) It sure impresses the friends though. I got mine topped with a Leopold 2X. Not bad, but am a little disappointed in the narrow objective, creates more parallax than I like.

I clocked my 150 grn at 2400fps. and that's a factory round. I also reload .357/38 spcl and .30-06 rounds. I bought my brother-in-laws 12 ga. shotshell reloader last year, but haven't reloaded a single round yet.

Brian

closing my eyes.

Reply to
bulletsnbrains

I have one of those, too.............hallway sweeper. I've wanted to get the "Marine" model (Stainless) - but haven't, yet.

Reply to
Carlo Jr.

Reply to
FrankW

The Remington 870 is available straight from the factory in a combo pack with 2 barrels in a couple of different variations. It's a good quality, inexpensive shotgun and the two barrel combo package is worth the extra money. Gives you a lot more versatility with two barrels.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

I have a 12Ga Remington 1100. It is semi-auto so it is nice and easy on the shoulder. Something to think about.

Andrew '00 TJ Sahara

Reply to
Andrew