oil capacity question

It a 1986. I didn't know there was a longer filter, I'll check into that, thanks!

Reply to
Sleestak

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to look into a different filter, I think.

Reply to
Sleestak

The Jeep 258 motor holds 5 quarts or, 6 with filter change. However, there is no way the tiny Jeep filter holds a full quart -- maybe 1/2, if that. When I change the oil and filter and add 6 quarts, the oil level is above the fill mark. So I am thinking of going with 5 1/2 quarts in the crankcase. Any problems with this, or anybody think its a bad idea? Thanks.

Reply to
Sleestak

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Thanks for the info. The manual provides that the motor holds five quarts with oil change, and six with filter change.

Reply to
Sleestak

Sleestak did pass the time by typing:

Use what puts the oil level at the full mark after it has been ran for a few minutes then left to sit for a bit.

I just put in six quarts (new filter every time) and the oil level comes out just a teeny bit below the full mark.

Filters I use are PL14670.

Reply to
DougW

Watch out for that filter! On some Jeeps there isn't enough clearance at the engine mount so the filter is almost touching it. If you torque the engine hard off road, the filter 'will' hit the mount and this will punch a hole in it.

Mike

Sleestak wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Just what I was going to say. That long filter ( not sure on the brand ) is very close to hitting the frame rail. I now use a shorter filter, and carry a spare on those long trips.

Reply to
Rusted

You are right, the filter can't hold anywhere near a quart, therefore the motor holds 6 quarts regardless of changing the filter or not.

Put in 6 quarts and be done with it. Don't worry about it.

Reply to
CRWLR

Let me suggest that perhaps in a prior life, the dipstick tube came out and a PO hit it a couple of times to seat it in the block better. If this is true, and on an '86 there is no reason to think it isn't true - or at least possible, then the oil level might read high on the mark. The crankcase holds 6 quarts. Period. If the level is above the mark, then I would assume the mark is wrong.

That motor never holds 5 quarts, it takes 6 to fill it.

Reply to
CRWLR

Your clock is off 12 hours or your time zone is way off.

Mike

Mike Romain

Thanks Mike, I think I got it fixed.

Reply to
Sleestak

That is probably true, but as we already discussed, there is no way that the filter holds a quart of oil.

The filter can is only about a third of the size of a quart bottle of oil, and since the filter is full of paper, it holds less oil than would fit into an empty filter can, or the filter can holds about a cup of oil.

The crankcase can hold 6 quarts, regardless of what might fit in the filter. Besides, do you ever change the oil and NOT change the filter? This isn't rocket science, having an extra cup or two of oil isn't going to hurt anything. Having an extra quart of oil can be a problem, but the size of the problem varies with the space available to hold the extra oil.

Reply to
CRWLR

One more data point:

On my '83, using the short filter, 5 qt hits the dipstick "full" line, 5 1/2 qt is somewhat over and 6 qt is WAY over. Figuring that the dipstick is mostly nonsense but not sure how far off it is, I have always spit the difference and used 5 1/2 qts as full enough not to be too low or too full.

Reply to
breyfogle