97 wrangler temp gauge problems

Had a question. Every time I drive my Wrangler after about 5-10 min. the temp gauge goes all the way up to the red, then comes back down to normal, even below halfway on the gauge. Then it stays there. Does this sound like a thermostat issue? Gauge issue? Thanks

97 TJ
Reply to
bspear78

Thermostat problem, with a possible entrapped air problem to go with it. Bleed the system, if the problem still exists, consider replacing the thermostat.

Reply to
PeterD

Replacing the thermostat is so easy, I'd go with that first. It sounds as if it's sticking closed, then pops open.

Reply to
Dale Beckett

In general I like to replace the cheap stuff first. If you're right, you save a lot of cash. If you're wrong, you don't lose much.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Yes, but isn't bleeding free? Can't get much cheaper than that!

(But, personally it's been a 50/50 shot in vehicles that I've had this problem on...)

Reply to
PeterD

And pull the connects to the temp sensor and clean them.

Reply to
Lon

My '95 did that for years. Never figured it out, although I changed the t/stat, the water pump and the radiator over the years it still continued to do that once in a while.

Reply to
Old Crow

I remember drilling a small 1mm hole in the thermostat valve to let air escape. That and making sure any gasket or gasket material was not squooshed into where the valve was.

Could just be you got a sticky valve. Part of the machineing process might have left a burr it was catching on.

Or engine gnomes.

Reply to
DougW

Many thermostats come with this hole already in place.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Been there, done that too! Some thermostats already have a small hole (1/8") but a few do not. It (the hole) really helps in keepign the thermostat from getting air-locked.

Reply to
PeterD