Old Jeep drivers beware!

The lifters I have installed and currently have in my 258 aren't flat topped. They have a definite dimple in them that holds the pushrod in place.

Mike

"L.W.(Bill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Have you ever worked on a farm? There is more than one reason, that Selective Service wouldn't touch farm workers. ;^)

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

I'm no expert on this but but I think a better description would be flat FACED lifters, not flat topped. I'm pretty sure that what they are referring to is lifters that have a flat face that rides against the cam, as opposed to the roller lifters in the pic. that Bill posted.

Jeep lifters 4.0 lifters:

Other flat topped lifter:

Jeff DeWitt

Mike Roma> The lifters I have installed and currently have in my 258 aren't flat

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

? Does a huge ranch count?

And the dear oulde local draft board not touching farmers is news...or at least it was to all of the kids I grew up with that got the "Your country and your local selective service board bring you Greetings:" type notices.

Earle Horton proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

I can't buy that at all.

Jeep engines last long using the oil off the shelves. I have one with

315K and another with 385K km on them and they are still going strong.

The Jeep lifters push oil out the top dimple and up the pushrod to lube the rockers, they are not 'flat topped lifters'.

Mike

Jeff DeWitt wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

There were occupational exemptions, including for agriculture. Maybe apples were considered more essential than goats then. ;^) If you've worked in any agricultural enterprise, you should understand why these boys wanted to get the tractor going right away, as opposed to waiting an hour or two while a mechanic fiddled with it. They wound up waiting a lot longer than that.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Earl:

Please don't mention "goats." You might get Bill's "friend" started up again. :)

Tom

Reply to
mabar

OK, but if you have a hydraulic lifter that pumps oil through the pushrod that doesn't really have anything to do with the face of the lifter.

I've heard for a long time that modern oils were tough on old engines, and that Hot Rod article is the first thing I've seen in a major publication where they gave some real evidence. Does it effect Jeep engines? I don't know, I suspect if you are driving around in a Willys Jeep with an F head engine you should be concerned. If you are driving around in a 96 Cherokee with a 4.0 I wouldn't worry about it (and I don't, got 300,000 miles out of my first engine using regular old Pennzoil).

Jeff DeWitt

Mike Roma> I can't buy that at all.

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

My father grew up on a farm, neither his father or his brothers were drafted because farming was considered a strategic occupation. However Dad went to collage and then spent a short stint as a collage professor... and was drafted for the Korean War.

My other Grandfather was what we would now call an avionics engineer for Bendix in Teterboro NJ, kept trying to join the Navy during WWII, finally the recruiter told him "Mr. Noxon, if you insist we will sign you up, but then you will be assigned to doing exactly what you are doing now but making a lot less money!" Granddad gave up on the idea of joining the military!

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff DeWitt

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

A lifter has a top and a bottom. There is nothing ambiguous about a 'flat top lifter'. It sure isn't a 'flat bottomed lifter'.

I can only find one example of a 'flat top lifter' in google and that is a special insert in an opel racing engine to do away with lash shims.

So I ask once again, "do any Jeep engines use flat top lifters"?

Mike

Jeffrey DeWitt wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Does this discussion have anything to do with flat head versus overhead, or the part of the lifter face that contacts the cam? At some point, engine manufacturers figured out how to make the lifters rotate during operation. This makes the job of the lubricant easier.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Dad was a farmer, married, with one kid (me) which made him deferred in several ways but he and 5 friends with similar deferals all joined up after Pearl Harbor. His rationale? He had two bits in his overalls and the Army was paying a $90 enlisment bonus to people with heavy machinery experience. His cash income as an enlisted grunt was an order of magnitude greater than what a dirt farmer was making in the

1940s. Of the six buddies, he was the > My father grew up on a farm, neither his father or his brothers were
Reply to
Will Honea

To add some more confusion here, I can only guess that a "flat topped" lifter is a solid NON HYDROLIC or "flat tappet" lifter. I've never heard of flat "topped" lifters before and I'm wondering if the OP simply misquoted "tappet"

The fact that old timers like Bill and Mike haven't already scoffed at everyone else for not knowing what a "flat topped" lifter is: is proof enough for me :)

If Hot Rod was talking about every day hydrolic lifters, then we would be seeing just about every modern car and truck without overhead cams, with this accelerated cam wear. Including lots of bulletproof pushrod motors like the 4.0

Reply to
Simon Juncal

First marketing campaign for rotating the lifters was on the Oldsmobile engine--it backfired when GM was discovered to be putting mere Chevrolet engines in some Olds models and had to pay off on lawsuits.

Some of these oil tales remind me a lot of the 'death to air cooled engines' tales when lead was taken out of gasoline--the old air cooled engines were predicted to be suffering massive exhaust valve damage due to the loss of the lubricating power of lead deposits.

Earle Horton proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

The Oldsmobiles you are talking about sported valve rotators, not lifter rotators.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

If that insert has a flat top, like in the picture, how does the end of the push rod stay centered on top of it?

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton