OT: Garage Ideas

it's detached..

I'll get good ext>

Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper

Fire Rated drywall is 5/8" It is probably not required for a detatched garage.

Are you building it yourself?

Reply to
Billy Ray

Yep building ourselves, my father in law is a builder, we'll do it over a couple weekends. we have zero lot line on the one side, I believe it has to be fireguarded on that side.

Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper
24X26 Is about as big as we can go...
Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper

You will have all the required power tools and knowledge then. I was amazed when I got my first pneumatic nailer how much faster it was.

Reply to
Billy Ray

One of my favorite forums is

Some of these guys have true "garagemajals" some are garages where you go to get the dirty work done (like mine). But good ideas, good sources, some good tool talk.

Reply to
Rusted

One of the things that I like about Spain, is the heating equipment. All of the buildings that I have been in, where I have noticed, have hot water heating. It came on this morning, and it was just great, standing next to a wall mounted radiator. I would put radiant slab heating in that garage.

The last garage I had, I put a ceiling mounted, fan forced, natural gas fired heater in it. That was nice, but not nearly as nice as a hydronic system would have been.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Yep, he is the most picky person I know, So I think it'll be built really well.

Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper

oh ya, great site, thanks

Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper

Reply to
aGraham

Those commercial gas units are easily found second hand at a very cheap price. I have seen them at auction go for $5-$10.

The radiant floor heat is very nice though. I had an apartment years ago with that in the bathroom and it was really nice in the winter to step out onto a warm floor.

A major factor will be is this garage to be heated 24/7 or just when in use.

In what part of the country do you live?

What style garage are you building?

Reply to
Billy Ray

Griots garage has a lot of nice stuff for those people who have more money than sense. It can give you ideas though...

Reply to
Billy Ray

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Water heat is too dangerous in an area that goes below zero. If the power goes out, you have a bad mess to fix and clean up....

Mike

Earle Hort>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Calgary, Alberta..pretty cold in the winter.

24X26 dettached. normal trusse design..not sure what you mean. 9ft walls, 16X8 door.
Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

My wife is an asskicker. She wouldn't let me fill it up

Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper

My garage floor is canted slightly toward the door and my drain is right outside. (it is one of the few things the builder did correctly) I just have to lift the door a quarter inch or so to let water run out.

All the garages on my street have then so I am assuming they were required by code back in '54 when the house was built.

When I get around to replacing the driveway I plan on adding the drain style that has a trough that runs all the way across the drive. The units are plastic and the drain pipe is slightly raised so debris does not go down the drain. You pull up the grate for cleaning.

Reply to
Billy Ray

LOL Billy, That's how big our shop is, and it's too damn small.

Reply to
Kate