OT: Garage Ideas

I live in an 'unrestricted area' Though my thought was not hazardous waste, I was thinking soapy water from washing my car, maybe a little dust or dirt now and again.

The HW is a good thing to think of when it comes to permits - I missed it completely.

Reply to
Kate

I think it's ok if you say it twice!

: > Can anyone give me some good ideas for building? Anything I should add on, : > leave out? : >

: > Any ideas are appreciated! : >

: > Jason : >

: :

Reply to
Kate

OH OH OH!!!! That brings to mind! Make storage in the rafters, like an open attic. We did that in our last house, made a helluva difference in the clutter department. You can store all that stuff that you only access a couple of times a year. Works GREAT!

Reply to
Kate

Aren't they just the coolest ! We got a stapler too, man... you LOOK for things to use them on.

: >

: >> Are you building it yourself? : >>

: >>>> So FINALLY I'm getting a garage. 24X26 Heated, etc... : >>>>

: >>>> Can anyone give me some good ideas for building? Anything I should add : >>>> on, : >>>> leave out? : >>>>

: >>>> Any ideas are appreciated! : >>>

: >>> So far, everyone has left out at least on essential: multiple well : >>> mounted fire extinguishers. Not the toy ones, real extinguishers. : >>> Ask you local fire department for recommendations. If you finish the : >>> walls, be sure you get fire rated sheetrock. If it's an attached : >>> garage check local codes - they will probably specify the fire rating : >>> for the joining walls. Run a phone line. : >>>

: >>> You might also consider running at least one cross beam sturdy enough : >>> to handle a hoist (additional support posts on the ends. : >>>

: >>> Hey, give us time - we can make this thing match your house mortage if : >>> we try . : >>>

: >>> -- : >>> Will Honea : >>

: >>

: >

: >

: :

Reply to
Kate

That's what the ol plastic milk jug is for.

Just remember if you plumb air, install drain T's at every outlet or your tools will die a rusty death.

| | |__ >tool | [x] drain

about 1' with a valve in the bottom. More if you live in a humid area. Also try to keep the lines sloping down so water doesn't sit in the pipe and grow stuff.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
RoyJ

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

The OP is in Calgary which sees -40 or lower. No need to convert that, it is freakin' cold in both temperatures... ;-)

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

They run an antifreeze solution here for outdoor (garage) applications with a heat exchanger in the boiler

Reply to
Billy Ray

Too dangerous? Absolutely not. If you wish, you can put anti-freeze in it. Hydronic is perfect for a garage. Even if the power should go out you would still have quite a while before the 15 - 20 tons of thermal mass loses enough temperature to pose a threat. There are some great prices for the pex-al tubing on E-bay!

Reply to
Jeff White

Ironically, -40C is also -40F. Both of them are too damn cold!!!

Chris

What I was thinking and I always wish I had is a floor that sloped towards the door. Maybe with little berms to keep the water from getting too mush to the sides. All the other suggestions are good ones.... Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

They make cement products specifically for thin applications so you can correct the pitch towards the door.

How much would you have to raise the back of the garage?

Reply to
Billy Ray

Reply to
RoyJ

Reply to
RoyJ

Reply to
RoyJ

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Well, what I have now is pretty much flat, with some of the cement's top layer gone in the center of the bays. In the winter I snow shovel the water out after it drips off the vehicles. I am guessing that I would need to raise the back a few inches to make it really work so the shovel can be used only outside where it belongs . I have never really worked cement other than setting footings, so a job like this is a bit scary to me.... I did give some thought to using those floor mats. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes