[ot] I won a toy!

Not Jeep related unless you count being able to test things.

The story: Last week I was in DC for TechNet 2004. Large gathering and display of tech companies plus some real good speakers of the 3-4 star rank.

Talked to a few companies, got a few unexpected job offers, but back to the subject: threw my biz card in on a Tektronix O-Scope drawing.

Didn't think a thing about it till someone called my cell last Monday and said, "Congrats, you won!".

So here, sitting in front of the monitor is a bran spanking new Tektronix TDS2002 two channel digital storage oscilloscope with test probes.

To quote Dilbert, I'm in nerdvana. :)

DougW

L.W.(ßill)

...sweet. Hmm I could use one of those right about now to work on one of my tube amps... =-)

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Don't remind me. I've got a friend that has two Onkyo amps that need to be fixed. Damn things weigh over 100lbs. It's easier to go there than truck them here.

Reply to
DougW

L.W. (ßill) Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

Thanks, I was just about to go looking for parts and prices.

Actually the first thing to get tested and recorded will be the O2 sensor input on the Jeep, the 5 and 8V outputs from the ECU, and the spark profile. Should be able to use the sensor from my engine analyzier to feed the scope. Then all the stuff I couldn't test before with just a multimeter. Like the CPS and camshaft sensor.

Then comes the power supply for my JVC HR-D970U VCR. It took a good whack few years back and never has acted properly.

CRAP! I've got another hoby back from the hoby graveyard. :)

Still have to order the PC interface. I plan on having a page with waveforms from good sensors and might even slide a bad sensor back in to watch what it does. But first I need some "expendable" probes and a good protective case.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Tap, tap...um, excuse me Doug, but you are starting to Geek. =D

Strange toys, but to each their own.

Reply to
jbjeep

jbjeep did pass the time by typing:

:) It pays for my other hobby. (:

You think that's strange just take a look at..

er..

nevermind.

Reply to
DougW

Hmm. You sure? This was beginning to get interesting.... ;-)

Reply to
jbjeep

Hey *I* think it's pretty exciting! Good for you!!!!!

Just experiment with some clean sine waves (from a generator) and see if you can determine where the TDS has "holes" or the equivalent of "birdies" in a shortwave receiver. We have found some delicate anomalies with most digital scopes, fun tho they may be, not to mention the PC interface!

ENJOY! Nerd??? I used to have one of my scopes set up as a lissajous monitor on my stereo, and would invite people to watch it with the lights turned down...And that's the tip of the iceberg!

Capt. Purple

Reply to
Captain Purple

LOL!

Mike

DougW wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

When do you begin work on your Tron suit?

It's OK, I'm a computer nerd. I just happen to be a 6'3" 240lb computer nerd who loves to play hockey... so I don't catch much flack about it :-)

One of my favorite sigs I've seen on a BBS.... "There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't" I about peed myself laughing and my fiance was like, "why is that funny, it doesn't even make sense" which made me laugh even harder.

Reply to
Kevin S.

You need to start buying some classic arcade games to fix with it! Think the Jeep habit is expensive? :)

Matt

Reply to
Matt

^^^^^^^^

Gareth, huh? Formerly of r.m.h.? Couple of other HD riders in here, too.

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLT 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep YJ Rio Grande ASE Certified Master Auto Tech + L1 TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM, DOF#51

Reply to
Old Crow

...nope haven't owned a Hardly Ableson yet. Team green since childhood...love my oil drippin cow-a-sloppies ;) Other current news groups I play in: rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled alt.guitar alt.guitar.amps alt.guitar.effects rec.music.gdead

=-)

..Garetth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian