Being able to have a comfortable conversation in a 101 whilst driving......

Now most of us just accept this as one of the things about driving

101's, and some times it is quite nice not having to listen to Dawn ranting about something or other that I may or may have not done.

Decided today to fix the engine cover seal, being as I have plenty of spare door seal thanks to my donor rangie! Took a look at the engine cover "soundproofing" and decided it looked a little shabby, but what to replace it with. Well I had a roll of Rockwool with a foil backing, and wire meshed to hold it together. Rockwool is the dogs danglies when it comes to fire proof insulation, so thought it might be ideal, especially as the wire mesh would hold it together.

Stripped off all the old insulationa and glued in the new stuff, with is 100mm thick, and put a new seal on. Put the cover back down and took it for a spin. Wouldn't believe the difference is noise levels in the cab, still not as quiet as a normal car, but unfortunately you are now able to talk rather than shout at the passenger!

While I was at it, I also fitted some new seats to replace the horrid squab ones. When I got the donor RR, the bloke threw in some electrical leather seats, because he had never been able to work out how to fit them and build and a loom to run them. Also needed to fit new seats, because Harry's new car seat did not fit securely on the squabs.

Had to swap them from Left to right and cut off the arm rests so they would fit, but they fitted into burrt a treat, and I can still lift the engine cover. Built a loom for them, wired back through the new fuse box that runs the camper conversion off the leather battery. If I had used the upholstered seats from the donor, which are showing signs of wear, I would have still had to cut the arms off, because of the width, doesn't allow you to fit or remove the engine cover.

Now able to have a conversation, and adjust my seat at the touch of a button!

Try to find some other jobs tomorrow!!!

-- "For those who are missing Blair - aim more carefully."

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco with rotten floor 200 TDi DIsco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Pictures !

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

In message , Simon Isaacs writes

How did you fit them to the 101? Surely they don't match the existing mounting rails ... do they? As Steve says, piccies required!

Reply to
AJG

didn't see steve's post....

Drivers side dropped onto the existing rails, but had to machine a piece of plate as the distance between bolt holes on the 101 seat mounting bolts was 13.5" and the RR 12.5".

Passenger side was a doddle, just remove the seat frame as they don't adjust, drilled some holes in some 1" box section to match the RR unit to allow clearance for the motor and then holes to suit in the 101 with some big plate. The original fitment for the military seats was very simple, with no spreader plates etc......

Digi cam is currently not working as I forgot to pick it up last night when it started raining. Is now sat in the airing cupboard drying out! Will post some piccies once it is working.

-- "For those who are missing Blair - aim more carefully."

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco with rotten floor 200 TDi DIsco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

90 seats almost drop straight in too :) 2 front mounting holes are the same as the 101 rails. just have to drill 2 new holes at the rear slightly further back :)

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

In message , Tom Woods writes

I'm aware of that - I've got defender seats in mine. It's just that '101' and 'electric seats' in the same sentence seemed somehow difficult, improbable and, well, wrong! :-)

Out of curiosity (since I would never consider such a purely indulgent and bum-friendly conversion) what's the seating position and general clambering in and out situation like? Are the RR seat squabs quite thick and make you sit higher or are they ok? Are they heated and all warm in the winter? Err ... delete that last one ... :-)

Reply to
AJG

bit higher, but Iam a midget, so not really a problem!!!