OT: Insurance Advice

Figured I'd tap the Great Fountain of Knowledge I've always found here at RAMJ+W for this one.

2 weeks ago my car, a '97 Subaru, got pummeled by hail here in Colorado. Luckily, the Rigg was under cover getting some work done, phew. The car is still very drivable, just looks a little like a red golf ball. My insurance totaled it. CCC Valuescope, a third party appraisal company, determined the "fair (HA!) market value" and came up short IMHO. Ol' #7 has one with many more miles on his lot for $2500 more than my InsCo wants to give me. I want the car as it'll run for another 10yrs/100k easy, it's paid for, has under 60k, and *was* in great shape. So now my InsCo wants THIRTY-FIVE PERCENT off the top as a salvage deductible!

Now, CCC has a great standing with InsCo's, but not with the public. Class-action lawsuits, etc.

In my eyes, I'm gettin' SKREWED! Can anyone offer me any realistic ideas to get them to loosen the old purse strings?? We're only talking about near a grand, but that'll buy a lot of parts for the Rigg.

TIA Shamus

Reply to
Shamus in CO

Shamus in CO did pass the time by typing:

Fountain, yes. Knowledge, well only if most knowledge is brown, yes. :)

Kelly bluebook, private sales price. But you have to figure in mileage and options.

Dunno. Never dealt with them.

Insurance companies are not in the business of paying claims.

Apart from a lawyer (that would cost more than 1K probably). I'd do my diligence and check prices for similar makes online. eBay, etc. If you can come up with convincing data then press the insurance company to meet you on price.

If you have house insurance or other insurance with that company let them know you are considering switching due to this. Insurance companies don't like to loose clients.

The other option is get a plate that says GOLFBALL and leave the dents in there. :)

Reply to
DougW

So you can get the write off and buy it back for 35%?

That sounds pretty normal.

You can have a third party appraisal done. It has to be a certified company that the insurance companies trust. That costs about 50 bucks around here and is worth it in lots of cases.

That $2500 difference is the difference between wholesale and retail in the (one) book, the replacement is wholesale or 'market' value in the insurance company's book....

Other than that mention the taxes, you have to pay them again for a new vehicle so are entitled to them on the old one. Seriously, it is legit and they know it, they just don't offer it unless asked.

Mike

Shamus >

Reply to
Mike Romain

Must have got lucky with my Alfa - bought it back for 250 quid. That really pissed the insurer's garage off; they had started dismantling parts in anticipation, and I demanded them all located and put back. Got the car repaired properly for less than the writeoff payout, got it inspected and certified by a government inspector, reinsured with the same insurer, and ran it for a good few years afterwards !

Reply to
Dave Milne