OT, made a bike intake manifold

I have a 1976 Honnda Goldwing motorcycle. It uses 4 carburetors on a horizontally opposed engine that cost $350 for the kits to rebuild, and my slides are worn out. Cycle Innovations sells a cast aluminum manifold with a Holley 1 barrel carb for nearly $800, and since Holley quit making the carbs, they are out of stock. It improves reliability, performance, and mileage. I made my own manifold out of steel thursday with a hole saw, die grinder, and mini-mig. If I had a TIG I would have used aluminum. I rebuilt and fit a Weber 32 DFD out of an old Ford Cortina. I rode it today with passenger up over the pass and back. HOLY CRAP!!! It is incredibly smooth and has a considerably better acceleration. It runs at

8000 feet with a passenger like it used to at sea level without her. 70 MPH to 100 acceleration takes about 1/3 less time, although I don't do that often. I think mileage is improved by at least 5 MPG, but I will have to ride alone in the flatlands to prove it. I went to install it and the corner wouldn't clear the cooling fan, so i whacked off the corners like I should have at first, and probably made it flow better. I coated the inside with Red-Kote fuel tank sealer in case of weld porosity, and it's rough texture will help add turbulence and aid atomization. I put a small well in the bottom for a hotter area to evaporate puddles, the silver tube under it carries coolant. I have to wait til monday for smog machine testing, but have good plug color. Here's some pics,
Paul Calman

Thanks Paul, I passed this on to the guy that bought my '76. That Holley mod always intrigued me after riding one such equipped - difference was like night and day.... smooth cold start-ups too.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

SNIP

I used to own a 1971 Norton Commando 750 - bought it brand new for $1750. It had twin Amal slide carbs that you had to tickle (manually flood) for cold starts. The bike ran really great when warmed up, but cold starting was distinctly primitive, and it was a PITA to keep the throttle cables and idles synched.

I installed a 2 into 1 manifold with a bigger Mikuni carb and it started and ran sooooo smooth. It lacked a little max power, but was definitely more enjoyable to ride.

Multi carbs are definitely the way to go for sheer performance, but they are not the best answer for rideability. I'm glad your project has worked out. How many hours did it take to fabricate the manifold?

John Davies TLCA 14732

'96 Lexus LX450 '00 Audi A4 1.8T quattro Spokane WA USA

Reply to
John Davies

About 6 hours. make it about 12 after carb OH, installation, and tuning. They make a dual Mikuni setup, by my triumph's single amal is running great

Reply to
Paul Calman