OT: trailer axle recommendation

I have a trailer to pull behind my jeep, that's as on-topic as this will get, but I value the insight of (most of) this group.

I know you can just buy a trailer axle, but I'm wondering what suitable boneyard pulls would be good to use. I'd like something that can handle

3500 pounds, and I'd really like to have a straight, non-driving axle (no differential) such as from a minivan or FWD vehicle. Anybody have suggestions?

Thanks, B

Reply to
Brian

Here ya go.

It's what I used after not finding anything in the junk yards.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

You could use a mobile home axle. They are easy to come by nut a bit over kill because they are usually 6 or 7K capacity (you would never break it) Only drawback is that you might have to narrow it. I have a custom built single axle tilt trailer that has a 7K mobile home axle under it with 14 ply tires that can run up to 120 PSI and carry about

3700 lbs each at that pressure. It carries a 4K tractor without even breaking a sweat and tows nice and stable too. One tip, if you plan to use it off road you might use a pintle hitch instead of a ball as it can operate at a wider range of angles and it stronger than a ball and very easy to couple and decouple. Another plus is it is a bit harder to steal because while everyone seems to have a hitch ball, few have a pintle hitch. My tilt trailer has this style hitch.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan