Our new TJ

I have asked a few questions here about tops and doors for our old TJ, and some of you were kind enough to reply with help.

Just wanted to let you know that after putting together pricing for doors, paint, and a hardtop the cost was getting pretty high so I just decided to buy another Jeep. I'll put my current one for sale on the street since I doubt trade-in was going to be much at all.

I got a 2003 Sahara, and everything included in that package, along with dual tops, Trac-Loc (Dana 44) and discs all around. The car listed at

27,205.00, invoiced at $ 25,253.00, and I was able to cap the cost at $ 21,999.00 plus the dealer prep at $ 399.00 ( I couldn't get them to give that up :^) so I think I got about as good as I could. Jeep gave up $ 2,000.00 and the dealer gave up $ 3,206.00. From what I know of cars the dealer, even considering the $ 718.00 HB, they still took a net loss of $ 137.00 based on the invoice and selling price only.

The invoice showed $ 200.00 for advert and floorplaning each, but the car had been on the lot since May so I don't think there was much of that money left and that doesn't even consider the full tank of gas they gave me, or the $ 100.00 or so bucks it cost just to deliver the car to me. I know the salesman got 100 bucks of the dealer prep. By my math it cost them about $

350.00 to sell me the car after all costs and prices considered. It was a telephone sale so they didn't spend much time with me at all, about an hour and a half for driving and signing documents.

I am very happy with the price, but I wonder if anyone out there more familiar with cars dealers and their revenue streams has any idea if there is another way the dealership was making money off this car other than MSP's? Maybe I am a cynic but I just can't see them selling a car at an

*true* loss.
Reply to
Jatniel Juran

I'm in retail. You have no idea how much stuff is sold at a loss.

Reply to
Mark12211

Mark12211 did pass the time by typing:

Those would be termed 'carrots'

i.e. the carrot used to lure the customer in to buy other things. Like soda on sale, and while your there, buy chips, dip, and that cool "impulse item" you never knew you didn't need.

I spent way too much time stocking stores back in highschool. But it paid.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

L.W. (ßill) Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

Sadly, that's why it's there.

Ever noticed the other impulse items. Like lighers by the charcoal, straws in the drink isle. Not as many as in the proper place, but enough to get shoppers to think "Hey, I might need one of those".

It's a wierd game.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

AKA a real shopper. LOL

Reply to
bllsht

Approximately 10/4/03 12:07, DougW uttered for posterity:

Yeah, and sometimes I have to wonder about some of the logic involved in placing impulse items on the displays of standard items. e.g. disposable diapers near the beer. The obvious conclusion would be that either the diapers are supersized or the kid is drinking beer...but in fact allegedly folks who drop in quick to buy beer often do so because there are kids at home or in the car doing what kids do when fed.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Well, yup, I used to have to go out for diapers and did a beer run at the same time. Here in most of Canada we have to go to different stores for that.

That is aimed at new fathers for sure, and I would have bought them right there if I could have for sure.

LOL!

Mike

Mike Romain

I've also noticed the illogical placement of things so you have to trawl the whole damn shop looking for it, and the huge queues giving you plenty of time to notice other things... :-(

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

Reply to
Dave Milne

Dave I notice you designate your Sahara as a 4.0. Is there an option in Europe to get Sahara with a diesel powerplant?

Reply to
Jatniel Juran