Overheating, and hesitation on 90 cherokee?

Ok a few weeks ago my cherokee started to overheat when just sitting, so I replaced the thermostat which was bad. But it still overheated after shutting the engine off, so I replaced the water pump, then the coolent fan switch I also flushed it and refilled with new anti-freeze. Now it still does it, what happens is the temperature gauge says its fine, but when I shut the engine off coolent boils out. Now lately I have been having irradic idle, like it will stay at 700 rpms then dip down to 200 and go back up to 700. And it will hesitate real bad. What could be the causes of these? Are the related? I'm thinking dirty injectors for the idle, or bad fuel pump I just put a new fuel filter on about 3 weeks ago. Any help would be apreciated as I am going crazy tyring to figer this thing out.

Reply to
Rjb

For the hesitation I would be thinking along the lines of your J**P needing a tune-up, plugs, cap, rotor, plug wires and maybe even a new coil depending on when/if it was changed. As for the over heating, it almost sounds like a blocked rad.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

No oil in the coolant and no coolant in the oil. It has not overheated in the last few days, I think maybe there was air in the system. I kept putting more coolant in everyday for the last few days and it hasn't overflowed since. According to my manual causes for hesitation are, dirty injectors, bad fuel pump, ignition timing off(also cause for abnormal coolant loss). I changed the plugs and 1 of the spark plug wires about a month ago, it was broken. Anymore things I can check?

Reply to
Rjb

Try jeepsareus.com

The link is to the Wrangler bottle to give you an idea on price (is it the same even ?). I couldn't find a Cherokee bottle on their Cherokee page, but it's worth giving them a call.

Obviously, being in another country, I have no connection with them, but I have had great service on the bits I have bought so far.

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

: >

: > > >

700 : > > > > rpms then dip down to 200 and go back up to 700. And it will hesitate : > > > > real bad. What could be the causes of these? Are the related? I'm : > > > > thinking dirty injectors for the idle, or bad fuel pump I just put a : > > > > new fuel filter on about 3 weeks ago. Any help would be apreciated as : > > > > I am going crazy tyring to figer this thing out. : > > >

: > >

: > > If I'm not mistaken, coolant pumping out AFTER the motor is turned off is : > > indicative of a blown head gasket? You're getting too much pressure in the : > > coolant circuit. This would also explain your erratic idle condition. : > >

: > > Do you have milky-looking oil? Oil in the coolant? White smoke (steam) from : > > the tailpipe? Did the vehicle overheat badly prior to this happening? : > >

: > > Larry : > > '87 XJ

Reply to
Dave Milne