CJ mirrors on a YJ

I'm thinking about mounting CJ side mirrors on my 89 YJ. Has anyone done this? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. I have been doing some body work on the YJ and I got rid of the door mounted mirrors so I need another solution.

POE

Reply to
Poe

If you have the money get the later style YJ door hinges and the big rectangular mirrors. If you have to have CJ mirrors get the kit that mounts on the front of a CJ style windshield hinge. This is at least better than the kit that mounts on the side of a YJ style hinge. You will think you are saving money, not replacing the windshield hinge, but you will be sorry. Kentrol is a good brand. Steel Horse is not. The CJ mirrors tend to vibrate, so a set of aluminum mirror arm bushings is a good idea .

I have two or three sets of these mirrors, having finally learned to buy quality parts. I only use them if the doors are completely off.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Don't go with CJ mirrors - they aren't very good. Don't go with mirror movers either - they are a complete waste of money. You can't see the mirrors at all if the doors are on.

Spend the money, get yourself a set of mirros for an '87 YJ. They are huge, windshield mounted, swing out of the way, and work with or without doors on. They are so much better than CJ mirrors that I put a set on my CJ. I can send you pics if you want to see a set.

PS - if you're as anal about these th> I'm thinking about mounting CJ side mirrors on my 89 YJ. Has anyone done

Reply to
Clap Trap

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I'd love to see a pic.

Reply to
Poe

I'll take one when I get home this afternoon. Send me your email address so I can send it to you (I don't have any webspace to put it on). clrwebmail-lists at yahoo dot com

Reply to
Clap Trap

Actually, it's raining like crazy so I can't take the picts for you now. So, here's the next best thing...

If that link doesn't work for you, just go to quadratec.com and search for part number 55012570.

I put a set of these on my '89 YJ before I sold it. I kept them for my CJ-8. On the YJ, I just drilled and tapped some short depth holes in the Jeep's windshield brackets (so that I wouldn't have to worry about rain leaks). But on my CJ, I drilled through both the brackets and the windshield frame and used rivnuts. No leaks on it either.

If you still want closeups, let me know and I'll take some picts when it quits raining.

Reply to
Clap Trap

For YJ hinges, you will need to drill and tap mounting holes. Use a drill press, a good bit, and a high quality tap. Hole location is going to be tricky, unless you can get a good drawing of a CJ hinge.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I thought the early YJ and the CJ used the same hinge.

I get it, there are extra holes inthe CJ hinge that the YJ hinge hasn't got. The CJ hinge can be used on the YJ, but the YJ hinge needs holes added to support the mirrors. DUH!

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Try to keep a steady hand while tapping it, too. That hinge is really quite thin and needs all the threads it can get!

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton