Painting wheels.

the wheel hubs are looking a bit sad on my LR... I have here a tin of hammerite white paint over rust type stuff that should bring them up nicely...

would this be a suitable paint to use? should I mask off the area where the wheel nuts grip the rim?

I was hoping to borrow an extra pair of axle stands, take all the wheels off, paint and refit within an afternoon.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

I've always found Hammerite covers on rust quite well, but I'd be a bit circumspect about white - used it once for a telephone box and it bled like you wouldn't believe - I'd certainly consider Kurust first. You need to mask where the wheelnuts seat, or why not paint with the wheelnuts on. Otherwise the paint will flow (it won't cure in a day) and relax the torque. Hammerite will cure quickly on a hot day, but I've always thought that it takes at least 24 hours to cure properly.

Good luck,

Reply to
Bob Miller

When reading the Hammerite 'can' you'll notice first paint and second paint within 1 hour, then 24 hours of drying. Maximum strength occurs after 2 weeks I used black Hammerite (black) for the bottom of the chassis rails; is perfect. My 130 sometimes uses the its bottom to negotiate slopes. :-) Fred (Defender 130 TD5)

"Bob Miller" schreef in bericht news:c5a5fq$2r5v7e$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-114164.news.uni-berlin.de...

Reply to
Fred Huge

Twas Sun, 11 Apr 2004 09:45:00 +0200 when "Fred Huge" put finger to keyboard producing:

Well I can take the wheels off, paint, leave it an hour, paint again, leave another hour then refit, I could then let it stand overnight but

24 hours isn't going to happen. will it run being refitted after only an hour? will I be spraying pedestrians if I drive after only overnight?

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

will it run being refitted after only an hour?

Although it skins over fairly quickly it can remain soft underneath for quite some time (depending on how thick it's applied) and once it eventually hardens off it often chips fairly easily so don't really like using it on wheels.

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

I do. I was always taught that if a job is worth doing it is worth doing well.

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

Twas 12 Apr 2004 09:20:26 GMT when snipped-for-privacy@aol.comknujon (AN6530) put finger to keyboard producing:

but my wheels are solid, I just want to tart them up until I can raise the money for a set of white 8-spokes.