part time range

Greetings,

Is there any problem if I drove with my Cherokee in Part time range for over 100 miles on normal road?

orlin

Reply to
orlin

If it is still in one piece, then no. You also should go buy a lottery ticket...

Our tenant drove his for about 25 miles before his t-case literally exploded in half.

Last time I got 'stuck' in 4x4 where there was no safe place to get off the highway for about 10 miles and it had jammed in by being wound up, I only killed a front driveshaft u-joint.

You should be now paying 'close' attention for any clunks or thunks that happen when you go from forward to reverse or vise versa or when you let off the gas. Same for turning corners.

I didn't realize until later that I had cooked the u-joint. The thunk gave it away.

Mike

Mike Romain

Probably I was lucky, because the transfer box is new (1000 miles). It was replaced two months ago. It has one year warranty so I will pay attention about any changes and noises.

thanks

Mike Roma> If it is still in one piece, then no. You also should go buy a lottery > ticket...

Reply to
orlin

Some of these systems have slightly different ratios on front and rear axles. For example, if you buy a "4.11" you actually get 4.10 on the front and 4.11 on the back. If you drive one of these on pavement in part time

4wd, the drive line will be winding up constantly. It won't take long.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Mike's pix is the second one I believe

Reply to
billy ray

I will go today to the official dealer to check for any noises. However here in Bulgaria they are very incompetent. Usually I have to tell them where to look or what to do. As I explained the transfer case is still in warranty (the old one was hit on a stone and the replacement paid by the insurance company) and probably I can ask to change it again if any problem occurs=EF=81=8A

orl> Some of these systems have slightly different ratios on front and rear

Reply to
orlin

Yes.

Well, there CAN be a problem, and odds favor it. But there is a chance that there is no problem. You should never do this.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

DO NOT TELL THEM YOU DROVE IN 4WD FOR 100 MILES. Surely, this is NOT covered by any warranty. You made a serious mistake if you have a problem as a result.

Do you understand WHY this might be a problem? if you do not understand, I'd be happy to spend a few minutes typing an explanation.

orl> Some of these systems have slightly different ratios on front and rear

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thanks to all of You.

Probably I have big luck. So far no problems with the case. I hope it will be the same in future. I suppose, that if something is damaged, there should be some noises. At this moment it is shifting between the different ranges with no problem. However I still have this problem with the slight vibration of the engine. I changed the spark plugs, but it is not much better now=EF=81=8C