plastic Hood latches

Hey guys,

driving home from work today I was getting pushed around by some good clips of wind. Narrow/short wheelbases on a somewhat light vehicle....ok...so I get pushed around no biggy!

But I could see my hood buffetting quite a bit! I know the safety latch is there but has anybody had problems with those plastic hood latches on the TJ's? I thought maybe with some weathering and UV exposure that they might get brittle and let loose at some point?

thanks

Reply to
SB

This same exact thing happened to me a few months ago when I was driving on I-70. It was really windy, and I actually pulled over because I thought the main hood latch wasn't holding. They were fine, as were the plastic ones. I was wondering if this is normal. Guess it is.

Reply to
Christine Courty

Well, I know I had to realign the safety latch cuz I had munched it while slamming the hood down.

But I remember someone posting a website where a guy figures someone lifted his hood to take a peak and didn't relatch it. so when he jumped in and went for a drive....his hood flew up and wrapped over this windshield and smashed up the glass and that was about it....but a mess after he did a rebuild or something! so it's on my mind!

Reply to
SB

See that all the time driving I-84 in the wind...with or without the big trucks. They can stretch - I had some replaced under warranty a few years ago. One side was way looser than the other.

Reply to
jbjeep

jbjeep did pass the time by typing:

similar.

They do make an antitheft hood latch and inside cable thingy too. That would keep any hood in place.

Reply to
DougW

Yep, this same thing happens on my '02 TJ also.

Tom

Reply to
mabar