Possibe to lean out a TJ 6 Cyl?

I believe TJ's are set up to run on the "rich" side. Do any of these after market chips lean out the fuel? I'm looking for improved mileage and I think the TJ is running overly rich. My tailpipe is always a deep black. Other possibilities? Comments? Thanks

Reply to
jocoman

failing O2 sensor among other things.

Reply to
DougW

Possible failing O2 sensor or other component, but they do run on the rich side new to keep combustion temperatures down and to reduce NOx emissions. Some of the aftermarket chips offer a "mileage" program, but you could also install a less restrictive intake and exhaust. That will help some by increasing the amount of O2 available. It will also be more fun to drive. Be aware that if you lean things out too much you could burn holes in the tops of your pistons. Keep track of spark plug appearance after any change to make sure that you haven't changed too much.

Best fuel conserving advice for these rigs is to keep the speed down and the rpms up. You're not the most aerodynamic vehicle on the road, you know. Keep the engine speed in the economy band, about 85% of the peak power, and it will run more efficiently. Many think that if their engine is running at lower rpms it is automatically using less fuel. Not always so.

Earle

** Posted from
**
Reply to