post-factory Mopar cruise control

I had a hard time finding a Wrangler I wanted w/cruise control, so I passed on it at the time of purchase rather than factory order.

I notice that for about $240, Mopar has a cruise control unit - but I cannot find out much about the details of it (i.e., is it a steering wheel add-in or a turn-signal like stalk?)

Aside from the form of the thing, will it work with a manual transmission?

Any help appreciated!

2003 Wrangler 4.0L, manual

- Tom

Reply to
thomas

Hey, Check out EBay, there are a number of ppl selling the Mopar kits (steering wheel mount for the appropriate years...) And yes, will work with a manual, but is a PITA to install...might be worth dealer trip and $$$$...airbags are scary. Enjoy.

Reply to
Joseph P

How do they handle the clutch? I remember "testing" a cruise control on a motor home in 1978, "Hmm, wonder what happens if I shift into neutral?" It didn't take long to find out...

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Approximately 12/3/03 21:17, Earle Horton uttered for posterity:

You used to be able to get hand throttles on cars that worked reasonably well. Last one I had that was fully functional from the factory was a 1970 Datsun 2000. On a '73 Porsche, everything was there but the dealer said the gov't didn't want them hooked up due to the increasing "doofus factor" of American drivers. Trivial to open the console and attach the cable which was there nicely, but I had to do it myself since the dealer wouldn't risk it.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Driving home from college I decided to try a similar test in my dad's '81 Grand Marquis. The engine revved up, died, and I coasted to a stop. Yikes. Fortunatley I believe it was the rev limiter cutting the engine, I started her up, no problems after that.

In the TJ, the stock factory cruise is tied in via the ECC computer to either the tach or the clutch interlock, I believe. More than a few times I was on the Interstate with the cruise set, and went to go downshift without cancelling the cruise, the engine didn't rev at all, it just cancelled the cruise on its own. Don't know if that would be the case with a post-factory Mopar setup.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo