Posting this Newsgropup's Charter

Seems to be that time of year again for everyone to have a gander at the Charter for this rec. newsgroup.

For those who don't know what this rec.*.* NG's charter is the whole process including the votes can be viewed here:

ftp://ftp.uu.net/usenet/news.announce.newgroups/rec/rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Here is the Charter text quoted:

RATIONALE: rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

The discussion of Jeep 4 wheel drive vehicles began on the offroad mailing list as well as on the Usenet group rec.autos.4x4. As the offroad mailing list grew in size, the Jeep-L listserver was set up to discuss topics specifically to Jeep and Willys vehicles.

At this time there are more that 50 articles sent to the Jeep listserver, as well as > 50 articles being sent on the offroad server daily. The volume on the usenet group rec.autos.4x4 exceeds 125 articles daily.

It has been suggested that a new Usenet group be created to take the load off of the listservers as well as limit the articles in the rec.autos.4x4 newsgroup.

CHARTER: rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

The unmoderated newsgroup rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys is to be used for discussions, announcements, expression of opinions, and questions about Jeep (Trade Mark) and Willys vehicles. It also serves as a medium for those interested in sharing and exchanging their experience. It is also meant to be a forum for buying and selling parts by non-commercial vendors.

Some things that could be discussed....

-Jeep/Willys history -repairs and modifications -parts exchange -technical information -4x4 driving experiences -vehicle restoration -new vehicle evaluations

Some things that shouldn't be discussed....

-4 wheel drive vehicles made by other manufacturers -commercial posts

The articles sent to the Jeep listserver will be cross-posted to Usenet but not vise versa.

END CHARTER.

End quote.

Just thought we all needed a reminder that this isn't a free for all alt.*.* group but a rec.*.* group that at least has some basic rules.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail 88 Cherokee 235 AT's
Reply to
Mike Romain

ok, so if someone abuses this charter, where can complaints be sent to? Nick

ftp://ftp.uu.net/usenet/news.announce.newgroups/rec/rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Reply to
Nick N

Discussion of the charter isn't listed in the approved discussions list. Maybe you should mark it as off-topic. ;-)

Sorry, couldn't resist being a smart ass.

Actually I think it was needed. I just went to google and 8 of the most recent 25 active threads had to deal with Lloyd! Thankfully I have killfiled most people or related threads so it hasn't been a big deal for me.

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

ftp://ftp.uu.net/usenet/news.announce.newgroups/rec/rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

You need to set your news reader to view all the header. In the header it normally has the address for the abuse department of the person who wrote the message.

You then need to include the complete message including all the headers when you complain.

The reference to the Charter can't hurt either so the abuse department knows the Charter is legit.

Mike

Nick N wrote:

ftp://ftp.uu.net/usenet/news.announce.newgroups/rec/rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Reply to
Mike Romain

Hi Nick, You want to send your complaint to: Abuse at their Internet Service Provider. You'll be able to send a copy by simple clicking of Forward, but the ISP also needs the abuser's header information, to get that click on the File at the top left Conner, then Properties, Detailed Tab, right click, Select All, right click Copy. Then back to the forward message you're working on and right click Paste. Then try and pick out their real ISP. If you look at my Header from this message and you'll see to send to: snipped-for-privacy@cox.net, trolls usually hack this and their return address, so you'll have to follow through the addresses, looking for a point it was initially sent from. If in doubt send to all of them. With any luck you'll have a collection of closed accounts, and reputation for being an a**hole. :-) God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O Mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

I'm all into being an ass. I've worked hard at it today if you've seen my other messages. Nick

you'll

Reply to
Nick N

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

i think it should read 'you can lead a horse to water but you have to hold its head under water just long enough to solve the problem.' whatever that problem might be...

Reply to
Jim Horne

At 12/5/03 08:30, Jim Horne bespake thusly:

I was thinking more along the lines of "You can lead a horse's ass to water, but you can't make him think."

Reply to
Lon Stowell