Problem with fan blower ?

This is a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee. For about 3 months, my blower fan has been intermittent, but it stopped running completely about ten days ago. Before it stopped completely, sometimes I could bang on or around the fan housing, and it would start (but only sometimes). Perhaps this was coincidental, but I got it to start several times by doing this. Naturally, I thought that my motor was bad, although it was replaced 18 months ago.

I checked the 40 amp fuse with an ohm meter, and it is ok. I took the fan out, and much to my surprise, it will run when hooked up directly to a 12 volt battery.

When the fan would work sometimes and would not work at other times, it was an all or nothing proposition. In other words, it would not run at any speed setting.

Could this be a bad resistor pack ? Is there a way to check the resistor pack ?

Any other ideas on this ? I am stumped, and any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Jmaes

Reply to
James

You have the basic AC? If you have automatic climate control the system is different and doesn't use a resistor pack, it uses a control module (solid state relay).

Usually when it goes you can tell from the scorch marks, but it pins out like this.

1--resistor--4--resistor--2--resistor--3

Pin 3 feeds the blower motor and also runs back to the speed control (full speed bypasses the resistor)

I don't have specs for the resistor block, other than if it's open it's dead.

Not running on max can indicate a few other things. Bad connections for one. The thing is those wires can get melty and the connectors then back off and fail. Take a close look at the pins and wires.

Since banging fixed it I'm leaning towards bad connectors. The arc would create a small spotweld that would last for a while but get real hot.

Reply to
DougW

Yep, most likely culprit in my experience.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Same thing happened on my wife's 2005....

Reply to
Steve R.

Fairly common problem, not exactly a cheap part for what it is though. :/

DougW