Jackstand position under a jeep

The factory manual specifically mentions not place jackstands under the axle tubes of a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Can someone explain what is the issue? The axle seem like an ideal location for lifting the jeep at the front, back or both.

So, should I place jackstands under the frame only?

Reply to
stilllearning

All depends on what your trying to do.

Generally axle tubes are too weak to support the vehicles weight and putting a jack under the diff can bend the weaker axles.

When I have to jack under the axle tubes I do so right next to where the struts tie in. Otherwise it's frame with jack stands under the axle tubes as support.

Reply to
DougW

Do you have the aluminum center section D44? If so, the issue is that that center section is weak so Jeep warns agains supporting the vehicle at that point.

Reply to
nrs

Same with the D35 in the ZJs

Reply to
DougW

stilllearning proclaimed:

The manual shows the jacking points. There is no frame on the Grand.

Or you could put the jacks under the axle on both sides if you want a quick way to drop the height an inch or so and don't mind the noise of a bent axle.

Reply to
Lon

Why then does the owner's manual mention that the stock jack should be placed under the axle when changing tires? Could it be that it is OK to use the axle as a lift point for a short time? I find that my 2 1/2 ton hydraulic jack does not go high enough to lift the tire off the ground when I jack under the frame. I would like to jack under the axle; put a jackstand under the frame, remove the wheel and then remove the jack from under the axle so the jeep rests on the jackstand under the frame. Can this potentially damage the axle?

Reply to
stilllearning

If the owners manual points to a spot on the axle to use, then go for it. Letting the axle hang on a frame stand (axle stand under the frame) is how folks change springs and shocks.

Jacking at the end of the tube means the axle stands have to be inboard of that or it would mean you jack on the center diff and set the stands outboard which will wreck the poor things.

Mike

Mike Romain