Putting in front speakers for jeep wrangler

I have a 93 jeep wrangler and my front two speakers do not work. So i took out the old ones. The passenger side speaker was easy but the driver side one was about impossible to take out. with out removing the dash I finally got it out and was wondering if there is an easier way to put the new one in on the driver side.

Thanks

jeff

Reply to
Jeff via CarKB.com

No but this is a fascinating story. The driver's side speaker in mine has buzzed now and then, and I am wondering what special Hell waits for me there. Do keep us posted.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

That just plain is one miserable SOB to change. I guess it might go easier if the e-brake and frame were removed, but that in itself is a pain of a job....

Mike

Mike Romain

Here are some directions for speaker replacement in a YJ

me it took about 2.5 hours to do the above. paul

Reply to
paul

This is great! Thanks.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

the following was posted years ago and I followed the directions successfully. Al Green

"From: "Eric Pretorious" Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 18:46:59 -0700

I just installed new 4x6 coaxial speakers in the dash of my 92 YJ this weekend. I can tell you from experience REMOVE THE ENTIRE DASH. It's faster. It's easier. It's LESS LIKELY TO DAMAGE THE SPEAKER CONES. It's easier than removing the seats and squirming around on your back for hours on end. You'll need:

2 4x6 speakers* 8 #8 flat washers 8 #8-32 wing nuts (You'll need these because the dash won't pull out very far) ...and some Loctite.

*Be careful here: There are two mounting hole patterns available. My JBL's have 5 patterns and I think that I used the 117.5x92mm.

BEFORE YOU BEGIN: Make sure that your new speakers mount flush to the face of the speaker basket. (Lay the speaker face-down: If the tweeter holds the speaker off the surface, you'll need to fabricate some gaskets using upholstery foam.)

  1. Remove the Torx fasteners from each side of your dash panel (6 T40 and 2 T45 bolts).
  2. Remove the lateral braces from the roll cage (2 T50 and 4 T40 bolts).
  3. Lower the windshield.
  4. Remove the 5 bolts holding the dash panel to the car.
  5. Viola!

Consider this too: Fold down the windshield and remove the 4 bolts on either side and the 10 black screws on top. Remove the speedo cable from the speedo end next. The dash will pull back real easy now. It took me about 1.5 hours to remove, make spacers, install speakers and re-assembly." __ Arold "Al" Green

Reply to
Arold "Al" Green

I took off the parking brake pedal, then removed the windshield bracket. Then I pryed out on the dash and put a screwdriver handle in the gap to hold the space. Then, after removing the wiper delay module and bracket, I was able to get the speaker in and out without too much trouble. Not a job I'd want to do in freezing temps, though.

-- Old Crow '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '74 XLH chopper(somebody else's baby now) BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM, DOF#51, DH#2 "There's only 1 RE"

Reply to
Old Crow

In article , Jeff via CarKB.com wrote: #I have a 93 jeep wrangler and my front two speakers do not work. So i took #out the old ones. The passenger side speaker was easy but the driver side one #was about impossible to take out. with out removing the dash I finally got it #out and was wondering if there is an easier way to put the new one in on the #driver side.

I used wing nuts when installing the front speakers on my YJ. It made life a lot easier than trying to fit a nut driver up in there.

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

Thanks everyone for your information i finally got my speakers in. I used the method someone else metioned by taking the bolts off the driver side and then put the end off a screw drive and using wingnuts to tighten the speakers down. Thanks so much everybody for your info on this project!!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff via CarKB.com