question about transmission torq bracket and mounting

I just replaced my engine mounts and transmission mounts and I had to really torque down the "torque bracket" on the transmission. I now have a hard time shifting into first gear and the transmission seams "tighter"

Do I need to loosen the bracket, if so how much. also, anything else I should check? I refilled the transmission (sr-4) gear oil in November and it drove much better until the mount was replaced.

thanks, Brad.

ps, 258:sr-4:d300

Reply to
brad smith

Explain 'torque down' on just what??

There is an outrigger mount or torque bracket.

The mount for this is a bolt that has two rubber grommets on it that have points with the points together. This leaves almost an inch of free up and down play on the outrigger bar before it touches rubber and stops the engine from twisting.

Mike

brad smith wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I think that might be my problem, I need to check to see if those rubber grommets have the points together or apart. I did not realize that bar had free play for the transmission to twist slightly

I'll check, thanks. Brad.

that

inch of

rubber and

gear

anything

oil

Reply to
brad smith

The first one I saw had me wondering too.

Mike

brad smith wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Hey guys, I'm wondering if I goofed up my Tcase reinstall on my '75 CJ 5 after reading Brad's post? These rubber mounts that are on my tcase I just tightned up. Rubber to rubber. I know my tranny mount is shot, but I'm a touch confused at what these should look like. A 1 inch free play seemed like a lot when re-installing. It was my first tcase removal so I was ignorant and didn't pay attention to gaps or any free-play when I removed it.

Reply to
Paul Brogren

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

The two rubber bushings on the outrigger mount are cone shaped on the T-5 and sr4 mounts.

When installing them, a flat washer first, then one bushing cone point up, then the outrigger bar fits on, then the second bushing, cone point down, then a flat washer, then a nut.

There is almost 1" of free up and down play on the outrigger bar before it comes up hard on the bushings. This is like 3/8 to 1/2" up and 3/8 to 1/2" down for a total of 3/4 to 1" of play. Maybe only 5/8" when brand new, but no less.

The unit Bill is showing is not what I am talking about. This outrigger is on the driver's side. I have a photo here that anyone can view.

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)