rattling sound coming from front of 2.5L

Hey guys and gals, I've got a 92 Wrangler with the 2.5 four banger and it has an annoying rattle coming from the front of the block area. It has 132,000 on the motor and the previous owner was mechanically challenged.

I've changed out the rod bearings and oil pump to be safe (the rod bearings didn't show much wear so I just plasti-gaged the mains and they were within specs. Found out there was nothing to adjust on the lifters so now I'm suspecting that there is some slop in the timing chain and or tensioner.

Anybody familiar with the replacement of the wearables on the valve timing on these engines? Best place to get replacement parts? Is the tensioner spring over hydraulic or just spring?

Thanks for any help.

Tom

Reply to
Tunohs

My first guess is the timing chain and chain tensioner are worn.

Reply to
CRWLR

Does it quiet down with increased revs? If so this is classic symptom of loose timing chain.

Reply to
Stephen R. Conrad

If it's like mine, when I give it gas, no sound. When I'm coasting no sound. But give it just barely a spot of gas and it rattles like crazy. Kinda like just enough gas to match the rotation of something.... Mines only in speeds above 45 or so. Been doing it for 3 years now... Nick

Reply to
Nick N

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Bill, et al., Thanks for the replies. I did replace the rod bearings while I was in there along with the oil pump. It was the main bearings that mic'd out so close to perfect that I didn't bother with them. I will check out your link to the timing, Bill. I wonder how much the Stealership will want for changing it out for me? Nevermind, I was just day dreaming.

Tom

Reply to
Tunohs

FWIW The 2.5 and 2.8 are notorious for cracked flex plates, and unless you do a dye penetrant (or magnaflux) inspection you wont normally see the cracking. Under extreme and changing torque load, the cracks will 'move' and it will sound like a loose bolt rattling around near the 'bottom' of the engine. A good radial crack in a flex plate will sometimes sound like a rod knock - 'hollow' sound metallic tap. To further locate and identify, remove the trans cover plate and have an assistant rapidly change rpm while you have a stethoscope (or rubber hose) to your ear and the other end near the flywheel. Cold engine will develop more flex plate crack-movement-noise than warm.

Anyone have a suggestion of a location of 'beefed-up' flex plates ..... I usually only get 30-40K mi. and need a source of a heavier gauge plate. Most online sources only offer standard flex plates for the

2.8L.

Reply to
Rich Hampel

Reply to