Strange noise coming from the front of my Astra

The car is a '97 Series 3 Astra Hatch - 1.6 16v. The noise is coming from the front near-side.

I thought it was coming from the back - however a quiet road and a couple of speed bumps have forced me to re-assess the situation.

When I ride over the speed bumps (walking pace and slightly quicker) I get a graunching noise which seems to coincide with the travel of the suspension on the near-side front corner. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

FWIW - I had the rear shocks replaced earlier this year, as one was leaking - the springs were checked for travel and for compression while they were off the car, and proved to be OK.

I have a garage I can rely on to get the work done - I just need to know what is causing the noise for my own piece of mind (and to give me an idea of how much this is going to cost to put right)

Many thanks in advance.

Reply to
Mark

Duff shocker, or perhaps an anti-roll bar link or something similar. Can be difficult to identify.

Reply to
R. Murphy

I've got the same car and had a track rod end ball joint rust through where it bolts on to the lower wishbone. The part that was left sometimes contacted the wishbone making a noise. Maybe its that ? It's easy to spot too as the roll bar won't be joined to the wishbone on that side.

Reply to
Simon Barr

Thanks for the reply Simon - I took it to a garage recommended by a couple of colleagues yesterday and it would appear that the rear-most bush on the nearside wishbone is beginning to peel away. This is apparently causing a lot more travel in the wish-bone causing a metal-to-metal contact, hence the noise.

A simple & cheap job (so I'm told) so he's going to do it for me. I just hope it cures the fault.

Thanks again

Mark

Reply to
Mark

It is quite a simple job, I changed both lower wishbones this year after and MOT fail on one bush. I used pattern wishbones from Partco, something like

25 quid each. Your garage may well have a press and may be able to change just the bushes which are dirt cheap.
Reply to
Simon Barr

You're right Simon - he has got a press and he is replacing the bushes - the total cost for the job is £25.

I haven't got anywhere to do the job myself (nor have I got the tools now) so I don't begrudge paying that.

Thanks again

Mark

Reply to
Mark