Re: Canadian Tire

for you who dont live in Canada, Canadian Tire is a half ass automotive

Half ass?!?! That's far to much credit your giving them. ;-)

Learn a lesson and never go back to them bud..

Two years ago I had them replace a clutch in my truck when it went while I was out of town or I would have just spent the afternoon and have done it myself..

Well six months later the clutch blew apart while it was driving up a cut line.. Got her home tore it down to the clutch -- low and behold it was the wrong clutch and only had 3/4" inch contact on the flywheel no wounder it failed.. Replaced the clutch and low and behold a week later the transmission failed.

Pulled it and noticed something odd when I drained it -- it was 80w90 in it not GM syncromesh.. $3500 to rebuild the transmission or $2800 for a rebuilt unit. I made a stink about it and faught with for a year before they finnaly refunded the full price on the cluch they did and agreed to pay %80 of the cost of the transmission -- unfortunatly not before a lawyer had to be involved.

I wanted the full costs which was the sticking point -- they argued over it as the tranny had over 320,000Kms on it..

They nutorously sell the incorrect parts to people...

As a warning they also own Parts Source.

Reply to
Chris

No.......

DON'T do that!!!!....

They were 'right' and you passed emissions right?

That is a symptom of a crashed computer or sensor putting the computer into limp home mode. The timing will jump 'about' 15 degrees.

Which CT did you use? The mechanic must have had more than half a clue about Jeeps, sounds like one CT mechanic I know named Jason, he is a whiz with 258's and BBD's. 'Every' 258 I have taken to him that failed first try, he commented, well have you checked...... this..... and every time he has been spot on.

I would recommend you just finish the job and kill the computer completely so your power and mileage will jump up radically.

When in limp home mode, the computer also clamps down on the advance too which kills power.

Mike

David Eagan wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

It's not bad for getting parts but never let the mechanics near your vehicle. I got into an argument with the mechanic about my *missing* exhaust manifold gasket (between the manifold and downpipe) on my CJ7. He said he wouldn't pass it until I bought one, when it wasn't listed in the computer he said it was a dealer part.

Reply to
Johnathan Marrin

The only thing I let them fix is my brakes (can't beat the price).

If they point out anything else wrong or needed, I nod my head and say "Thank you". Then I get a second opinion and depending on the job size do it myself, or let it ride a little longer and have someone with a better reputation do it (dealership?).

Reply to
Joe Blow