Re: Crap, my tie rod just fell off!

Oh man... just what you needed. Let it sit in the driveway, don't try to fix it yourself until you're ready - we don't want your next posting to be "so I was fixing my tie rod and now I have to type with a pencil in my mouth".

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

At least I was only going 2 mph and it was easy enough to get back on, so yup, that was lucky all right.

Mike

"A.H. Mac>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Actually, the rods are pretty cheap. Tellico has the entire setup (tie rod

  • ends) for about . You may as well pick up the steering arm and ends, too - they're .
Reply to
Michael White

Gloom, despair, and agony on meeeeeee...

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Deep dark depression, excessive misery...

Reply to
DougW

Ah...now is the time for paybacks for JO! Woman, get over there and change out his tie rod!!! =)

Dang, Mike, its just raining on you.

Reply to
jbjeep

I've started checking that everytime I change the oil. It happend to me not too long ago....front end started shake'in real bad (Dead Wobble all the time) The bolts were missing from the clamp! Sure would suck if that happend going down the road.

Brian

88 YJ
Reply to
Wranglerjeep1

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Hell, if he wasnt on the other side of the country I would go over and do it for him myself...but, there is no way I can make it that far and back in a weekend.

Reply to
jbjeep

Hey Mike.. Don't know when you are going to be able to get the part, but I can do the nasty bit of labour for you.. hehe.. fond memories of doing my tie rod in your driveway with it raining on my head and a pipe wrench in hand (yes I said a pipe wrench people) :-)

I think I'm free this sunday and my wife wants me out of the house anyways as she has lots of work to do for the summer course she is taking.

Norm Mitchell

89 YJ Renegade
Reply to
Norm Mitchell

Reply to
Roy Jenson

I can honestly say that if it wasn't for Mike I would not own my jeep anymore or be into Jeeping. When he first met me I was at the end of my rope! :-) You all know how helpful he is on this newsgroup.. Imgagine living within walking distance of his house and you'll understand where I am coming from!

Thanks Mike! It would be my pleasure.

Norm

89 YJ Renegade

Reply to
Norm Mitchell

Damn! Most of us have to hammer on those things for hours to get them to fall off. Some people have all the luck. ;-)

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I'll check around to see if anyone has one (tie rod).. You already checked the normal sources? No deals to be had eh.. And I think I have another bottle of PB Blaster kicking around still.. I'll check for that.. I'll be doing what I can on saturday on my jeep.. hopefully it won't be too bad to get to your place.. It didn't want to start after I was doing the last bit of stuff. I'll clean the plugs, get new wires, cap, rotor, clean the EGR and connecting pipe, and recheck the vacuum lines before I try to make the journey..

its the bloody pffft noise that I don't like. :-(

Hey.. Do you remember about how many turns we set the mix on my carb to last time.. I know it was something silly like 1 1/8 on one and 1 on the other.

Guess I'll try to dig up the stethoscope as well.. hmmm where did I put that.

Norm Mitchell

89 YJ Renegade

Reply to
Norm Mitchell

Hey I did manage to get that construction heater which got the garage up to

15 deg Celcius.. It was just too bad that we were pretty much done by the time I got it! ;-)

Norm

89 YJ Renegade

Reply to
Norm Mitchell

Well.. I have a bead on a tie rod from a local guy here in Uxbridge where I live. I'm going to try to go over tomorrow and shoot the sh*t with him, have an early morning beer (9am but oh well). Best part is I'm thinking that it will be free. Just to make sure.. we are talking about the long rod that goes between the knuckles right? I'll let you know how I make out.

Norm

89 YJ Renegade

Reply to
Norm Mitchell

Cool, thanks Norm!

Yes, we are talking the tube between the knuckles that we turn to do a toe in alignment.

Mine is one straight rod with only the shock clamped onto it. The one on your YJ is different I think.

Mike

Norm Mitchell wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Well I haven't been able to meet up with the guy for the tie rod. He wound up having to go out for the weekend with his family. I will be seeing about meeting up early in the week.. (Hopefully Monday or something)

Norm

89 YJ Renegade

Reply to
Norm Mitchell

Thanks Norm.

I will umm, more than likely be just hanging out all week....

Not going anywhere in any hurry...

Mike

Norm Mitchell wrote:

Reply to