Tie rod ends

2000 Cherokee sport, 4L, 95K

Had to replace the right tie rod. I am having a problem reinstalling the connecting tie rod .I am not able to tighten the nut on the center linkage ,the nut hits a tight spot and the entire stud turns in the rod end. The treads look OK ,I even tried putting some stress on the linkage to hold it so the nut will go on.It just spins from the rear socket. Any way to hold it or does this mean its replacement time? Thanks

Reply to
DanFXR

Try using a C-clamp or big vise grips to hold the end into the linkage. You'll have to really crank either one down. I'd suggest both and use an extension to get your socket wrench to reach.

BTW, you'll probably get a lot of responses. Let us know which methods you try and which one works for you.

HTH

Carl

Reply to
Carl

It is possible that you left out a washer and that the threads are bottoming out. If this is not the case then take a really good look at the threads to make sure that you haven't damaged them. If you did, a thread file may help. When this happens to me, I can usually get the stud to tighten up by squeezing it into the socket with a big pair of channel locking pliers. Try a new nut. You probably won't find the proper kind of castellated nut locally, but you can use a plain nut to lock the stud into place.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I have used a hammer to give it a good smuck to sometimes make it stick. I use an old socket on the rod end so I don't damage it or the grease fitting.

Look close at the top of the nut, lots of times it gets dinged there. If so then I try to put the nut on before fitting the taper so I can hold the taper and make the nut thread itself again.

I also have used vise grips to hold the taper while doing this and I think the vise grip marks helped hold it from spinning when inserted again.

Good luck!

Mike

Mike Romain

Holding it with the vicegrips worked! I tried a new nut and WD-40,got it by the tight spot. Thanks for the help

Reply to
DanFXR

Glad it worked, Dan. Thanks for telling us.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Thanks for the update.