Removing fender flares

Ok, so I got some used Bushwacker flares for my TJ and decided to start removing the old flares tonight. What a headache!!! The fronts went OK until I got to the last screw at the rear of the flare. Had to take a dremel to the back part of the nut-sert (or whatever that thing is) before the bolt would come out. I moved on to the passenger side assuming it would go faster only to find that all three bolts being held in by nut-serts (whatever) are spinning freely. It would be impossible for me to get my dremel in there and cut all of them. I'm afraid of what the rear is going to look like...

Any suggestions on what to do?!?

Thanks,

Eric

99 TJ SE
Reply to
Eric

Since the flares are plastic cut them. Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

When I removed my flares to clean and paint I simply pulled tension on the flare out from the body as I loosened the screws that held it, this pulled the "nut-sert" things tight against the body as I loosened the screws. Worked like a charm.

J. Slaughter

99 TJ Sport
Reply to
Jerry Slaughter

Since the flares are plastic cut them. Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

I popped my plastic inner fenders loose and was able to hold those nut-serts from the back. 2003 TJ

Ken

Reply to
Ken Knapp

Would do it if I didn't want to sell them. Besides, I'd still need to get the old hardware out..

Reply to
Eric

I had someone else say the same thing. I couldn't get that to work for me. Finally was able to get some needle-nosed vicegrips on them to help. All the fronts are off. Now on to the rears.

Fun fun fun...

By the way, ratcheting wrenches save a TON of time...

Reply to
Eric

Ok, I got all the fronts off without many more problems (had to use needle-nose vice grips on every one of those #$@#$%@ nutserts). Moved to the rear, and using everyone's advice (reaching up into the fenderwell vs. pulling it out, etc) I got the driver's side off in minutes. Got all but one screw out of the passenger side one in a couple of minute too. Except one. And it's a freakin nutsert. @#$@%@!%$^!!!!!!!

I tried everything. I've gotten it to come out a little, but now the whole thing just flops around the hole in the body. The fender is starting to wear thin around the washer. If I pull much more (and I've been REALLY pulling), it's going to pop through. Any thoughts? I've considered cutting the head off the bolt and pushing it into the body...

Eric

Reply to
Eric