Re: Ford 9inch read axle

I have not yet seen it, but was told by the owner it was a 9 inch. What is the easiest way to confirm it is a 9 inch?

Bill

That would be the eight inch, you have to reach back into the end > of the Muscle car err for a nine inch, at least back the the seventies > to find them still in trucks. > God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O > mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
> Morrissey wrote: > > > > OOPS -- I guess I should have said it is from a 1989 Ford Crown Victoria > > police edition with POSI rear. I think the TJ is 58 inches, how would that > > compare to the Vic? > > > > I will also need to find out the gear ratio when I get to see the vehicle. > > > > Now... anyone know what size it would be? > > > > Tks again > > > > Bill
Reply to
Morrissey

L.W.(ßill)

Thanks Bill -- this will make it easy for me to determine!

Morrissey

If memory serves, my dad's '81 Grand Marquis did not have a 9", so most likely the '89 Crown Vic would not have had one as well. My brother's '70 Torino does have one...

* * * Matt Macchiarolo
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty." -Edward R. Murrow

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

L.W. (ßill) Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Hughes

The 9" went out of production in the early 80's. It remains a favorite of Rodders because gear changes can be made more easily than a conventional axle. Although beefy as Hell, Ford didn't like the extra weight and cost of the unit. FWIW, Currie's high pinion 9" uses an 8.8" gearset.

Reply to
Jerry McG

I think it originally had one...