Re: header leaks

HomeBrewer did pass the time by typing:

Are there any tricks to stopping header leaks? I've installed them twice and > still have small leaks around 3 holes. It's a 304 in my cj7 with hedman > headers. The first time I used the foil gaskets and my mechanic friend told > me to use paper. SO I removed and installed the headers using the paper > gaskets that came with them. I ran it for ~100 miles and retorqued the bolts > and still have leaks.

All surfaces have to be flat and free of any carbon traces or crud. A light scrubbing with a brillopad will help clean up the surface. Any appreciable warp in the head or header mating surface will cause leaks that can only be fixed by having the surfaces decked. Old (over stressed) bolts will also cause a problem. Sometimes it takes two or three trips around to get the gasket seated.

I use a metal/carbon style gasket and they make ones with built-in gasket rings. A tiny bit of form-a-gasket copper smeared around will help with minor scratches and low-spots.

Remember when your getting the gasket setteled in, don't rev the engine. Just let it toodle around till it gets warm, then retorque in the proper sequence.

Took me four times over a week to get things settled on my I6

Reply to
DougW

A. use header studs B. use a copper gasket

Works on my 87GW with 360. Almost a year with no leaks.

Mr. Bill at a 4 way stop.....the vehicle with the largest wheels has the right of way My Jeep is not an SUV....your SUV is not a Jeep

Reply to
AUTOKAWKR