Re: Quick question: 258I6/T-176 to 360V8 engine swap

I have a 1990 Wrangler with a 4.2L motor, AX15 Transmission and NV231 transfercase. I also have a 90 Grand Wagoneer with a AMC 360 motor, 727 Automatic transmission and 229 transfer case. I would like to swap the AMC360 into the Wrangler along with its Dana 44s. What is the best, easiest and cheapest way and what would I need for the swap?

AMC 360 motor and AX15 Transmission and NV231 transfercase AMC 360 motor, 727 Automatic transmission and NV231 transfercase

I'm leaning toward using the 360 with 727 connected to the NV231 for now. I just have to save up some money and find someone to give me a hand as I have no welder. I was thinking about having a friend with a plasma cutter cut the motor mounts from the Wagoneer and re use them on the Wrangler. I have to have the spring mounts moved on the axles as well. I was also thinking about using the driveshafts form the Wagoneer and having them cut to the correct lengths for the swap. What gears would you guys recommend for this set up for a daily driver running 33s?

Thanks for your help, Pat

Reply to
MTJeepers

L.W.(ßill)

One suggestion. I am almost positive that the Grand Wagoneer is a passenger side pumpkin on the front axle. If that is the case then your NP231 will not work with the D44 front axle. In this situation I would grab a D300 which are plentiful out there and run that. It is gear driven and REALLY strong. It is also nice and short. You may want to get a clocking ring to gain some ground height at the skid plate.

-- Checkout

<admin