Re: Rear end problem/noise anyone?

Hey there. I recently took my jeep to the dealer to have a noise from the rear

> end diagnosed, it didnt happen while it was there, and they couldnt find > anything wrong with it. The mechanic said the u joints were fine, and i had > them change the fluid in the rear, rotate the tires, and check the brakes. The > mechanic said he had the rear diff cover off, so i assume everything looked ok > there, and he had the rear drums off so i assume everything looked ok there. > The noise seems to be coming from the rear, from a standstill until about 5-10 > mph, after i let off the clutch completely. It happens more often when it is > warm, and more often when im turning, but it doesnt happen all the time. I

clu1: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

have the dana 35 with the trac lok. Any advice? thanks.

clu2: ^^^^^^^^

It's your rear LSD doing what they all do. Make noise when you turn.

What year/make, there are some TSBs out there for LSD noises.

Reply to
DougW

I have recently bought into the Jeep family with a 94 YJ Sahara edition. It's in fair condition and I also have a rear noise. However I replaced the gear oil and transfer box fluid which helped. I started to do the AX15 tranny and found a bad bracket for the mount. Take a big screw driver and put it between the tranny and the skid plate in the rear. Then use it as a pry bar and try to move the transfer box up and down. If it moves you have a bad tranny mount or a bad tranny bracket like I have. I just got my parts today and will be replacing them shortly as my Jeep is in my garage jacked up right now. My noise was only at low speed and heavy start out acceleration.

Good Luck...

Reply to
Peter Parker

I didn't read closely before and this sounds more like it. I would still check the tranny mount with a screw driver.

Reply to
Peter Parker